I recently had the privilege of attending the National Eczema Association’s Patient Conference in Boston, Massachusetts. In the past I have shared my challenge as an adult with Eczema. I have also shared my dedication to helping find a cure. Attending this conference in Boston has given me a new positive perspective about a cure coming very soon. There were general sessions related to different medications and treatments, allergies, medical breakthroughs in Eczema and my favorite topic, alternative therapies.
The understanding from everyone at the conference was heartwarming. To be surrounded by so many others who completely understand what it’s like to live the itch life made me feel a support that I had never experienced before.
I attended the patient support session: How do you cope with Eczema? This session was a group discussion where everyone had a chance to share their story. My favorite part of the session was when we all shared one positive thing that’s come from our Eczema. It’s easy to focus on the negative but focusing on the bright side makes everything better. Here are some positive things the adults shared:
- I am more compassionate
- I have learned how to cope
- I am more conscious of my healthy in general
- I am grateful for NEA (National Eczema Association)
- I am resilient and strong
- I am a comedian and can add jokes about Eczema to my stand up routine
- I appreciate my family being there for me
- I have more self control
Everything on that list is awesome! The conference had a Kid’s Camp where the kids got to learn, make new friends and just have a good time with other kids without having to feel self conscious about their skin. On the last day we had a general session with both the kids and adults. The kids had a chance to share some positive things about Eczema and the conference too. Here’s what they shared:
- I get to make new friends
- I get to see my photo featured on the NEA magazine
- I get to travel to new places
- I am itching for a cure
I am amazed at how smart and aware all of the kids are. The list of positive things from both the adults and kids is a great reminder that even when experiencing something challenging such as Eczema there are many things to be grateful for. I mentioned that I really enjoyed learned about alternative therapies. I avoid pharmaceutical medications as much as I can so I was happy to hear doctors recommending other things to try. Dr. Lio, the founder of The Chicago Integrative Eczema Center gave many suggestions on alternative therapies. He did let us know that with alternative therapies there haven’t been studies done to prove they work. Here are new things I learned:
- Oil pulling- This is a tradition in Ayurveda medicine. I have heard about this before but not for Eczema and it wasn’t recommended specifically for Eczema either. It’s a way to cleanse and pull toxins from your body through your mouth. At first the concept seemed odd but I’ve been doing it consistently for over a week with coconut oil and if anything, my teeth feel cleaner than ever!
- Acupressure- I can’t tell you how many times people have recommended I try acupuncture for my Eczema. My answer has always been that I don’t want to use needles to puncture my skin since I’m already so sensitive and I just don’t feel comfortable doing anything that will further irritate my skin. People don’t really understand this response and always tell me how “small” the needles are and that I won’t feel it. Well when you have Eczema, you feel everything! Dr. Lio recommended acupressure instead. Without me even saying anything about my concern with acupuncture , he started off by addressing my exact concern! I was so happy to hear someone finally understand why acupuncture is not right for most people with Eczema. He taught us how to do acupressure on ourselves and recommended we do it for 3 minutes, 3 days a week.
- Sooth skin with oil before moisturizing- Emu oil was recommended for Eczema. Some people also use olive oil and coconut oil. I have tried olive oil and coconut oil but never emu oil. I will look into emu oil, it does not seem very common.
- Hypnosis- This one seems odd, but I have actually tried it before! My friend Christian Wasinger is a Hypnotist in San Diego and made me a recording over a year ago. Listening to the recording is very relaxing and similar to meditating. I had not listened to my recording for a while, but last night I found it and will be listening to it regularly again. I definitely notice myself not scratching when I’m listening to the recordings.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Baths- I rarely take baths but it was recommended to place one cup of apple cider vinegar in your bath water. I am open to trying this the next time I take a bath.
- Get Vitamin D- I’m lucky to live in San Diego so I have plenty of access to natural Vitamin D from the sunshine. Vitamin D supplements can also be taken.
- New Products- In addition to learning about new alternative therapies, I received dozens of new products to try. I am going to read the ingredients very carefully before trying any of these, but the sponsors were very generous with their giveaways. The photo below only shows a few products, by the end of the conference I had more than triple the amount of products pictured.
Overall I feel very grateful that I was able to attend the conference. One of my favorite things is the luncheon with a doctor at each table (I chose Dr. Lio’s table). Getting this one-on-one time with Dr. Lio was extremely valuable. I also enjoyed the opportunity to share our positive thoughts both in our sessions and on camera. Julie Block, the CEO of the National Eczema Association shared that now, more than ever there is more research that’s focused on Eczema. This only means we are closer to finding a real cure. I’m excited to see more developments in Eczema research and look forward to staying positive.
When I tell people that I’m a Marketing Consultant and my job is to help your business generate more revenue, I get mixed reactions. The reactions are usually positive in a sense that the person I’m talking to understands how important it is to effectively market their business but at the same time they don’t necessarily know where to start.
“I really need help with my marketing, that’s the one thing I don’t get.”
“I made sure my business is on social media but I’m not sure how it works.”
“I definitely need to start marketing my business more to get new customers.”
Do any of these lines sound familiar to you? If the answer is yes, read on. Marketing is one of the most important elements in growing your business and generating more revenue, yet it’s also one that gets the least attention. What if marketing your business was fun? What if you could make a direct correlation between your marketing activity and impact on your bottom line? What if your marketing efforts automatically made more customers seek you out and want to work with you? Once you start seeing the positive results with your marketing, your attitude about this dreaded activity will change. You’ll stop making excuses and you’ll grow to love marketing your business. I’m going to discuss the top 3 excuses business owners and entrepreneurs give for not marketing their business and ways to overcome these objections. After each solution I list a specific action item that you can do today to start accelerating your marketing efforts.
EXCUSE #1- I’m too overwhelmed with all of the marketing tools out there, I don’t know where to start. Digital technology can be both a blessing and a curse. With all of the new apps, programs and social media sites out there, it can be very difficult to know what will work for your business. It’s very easy to just ignore everything we see and hear about how we need to use the latest app/site/program but it’s even easier to understand what tools to use to start making money for our business.
SOLUTION- First, let’s take a step back. Rather than focus on what tools we need to use, it’s important understand the measurable goals you want to reach. Feeling overwhelmed with your marketing is often a result of not knowing what you’re measuring. Therefore your efforts may feel like a waste of time because you don’t know how to track your success or figure out which activities to cut out that aren’t providing value. Set SPECIFIC and measurable goals to track your marketing activities. I promise this will help with the “overwhelming” feeling you’re getting.
Examples of measurable goals
- Sign up 30 new members each month over the course of 6 months (180 new members total).
- Generate $100,000 in donations to our charity over the next year.
- Sell 200 packages over the course of 6 months (1200 packages total).
Examples of goals that aren’t measurable
- Get more visibility for our business.
- Get new customers to sign up for our programs.
- Spread the word about our new product.
Once you know what goals you want to reach, you can figure out how to incorporate your goals into your marketing activities. If you want to get new members, make sure you’re promoting your membership program when you’re out at an event. Make sure you mention membership benefits on your social media updates and emails.
ACTION ITEM- Write out 1-2 measurable goals for your business. Take a look at the current things you’re doing in your marking strategy and see if they connect back to your goals.
EXCUSE #2- I don’t have the time to focus on marketing right now. This is a popular excuse because most business owners feel like they’re doing many random marketing activities that aren’t adding up to new business. If this is the case, I certainly wouldn’t have time for marketing either because I would associate it with wasting time. Let’s focus on making sure our marketing efforts are reaching the right audience who will turn into customers. Otherwise we will waste a lot of time marketing to people who will never turn into customers.
SOLUTION- Understanding your audience will provide you with a solid foundation for marketing your business. You’ll know the behaviors of your audience, which will help you narrow down which tools to start with. For example, if you’re marketing to teenagers, perhaps you know they’re into the “Selfie” craze so you may want to use Instagram for a Selfie promotion. If you’re marketing to stay at home moms and know that there is a big blogger community for moms, you can write a guest post on some popular mom blogs. Think of who your audience is and where you will find them, then make sure you’re there too. This will save you a lot of time, make your marketing efforts more efficient and you’ll find that you have more time because you’re generating more revenue.
ACTION ITEM- Create a profile for your ideal target audience. Don’t just say “moms” or “men between the ages of 25-49″. “Moms” is still broad because a mom can have a grown adult child or a toddler. Here’s an example of being more specific “I am targeting moms who have children between the ages of 6-12 years old. These moms have a household income of at least 150K per year. They are tech savvy and manage most of the activity planning for their children.” You can even be more specific by listing out some of the hobbies these moms might have or some of their family values. Now that you have a profile for your target audience you’ll spend less time marketing to the wrong people and more time connecting with people who will become customers.
Excuse #3- I don’t have enough money to invest into my marketing- You don’t need a lot of money to start marketing, but you do need to market your business to make money. There are many free marketing resources that you can take advantage of if you understand how to use them properly. The ultimate goal is for your marketing activities to make you more money than you spend. Soon you will feel comfortable with having a mindset that money spent on marketing is an investment in your business to generate even more revenue.
SOLUTION- Stop looking at every dollar you invest into marketing as a waste and start seeing it as an opportunity to grow. This requires some due diligence on your end to learn about which tools are free but also learning how to use them properly. Just because a tool is free tool doesn’t always mean it’s a good idea. You still need to invest time into creating content. You will save a lot of money by only focusing on the marketing channels that help you reach your goals and only marketing to the right audience (This is why overcoming excuse #1 and #2 are so important.
ACTION ITEM- Write a list of as many free marketing tools you can think of. Many of these tools will be social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, review websites, etc. Choose 1 tool to focus on. Figure out ideas on how you can create content to reach your measurable goals and connect with your target audience.
My intention is to teach every business owner how to love marketing their business. I promise you’ll enjoy marketing if you can make more money from your efforts. If you enjoyed learning how to over come these common marketing excuses, I want to help you even more. I am currently offering complimentary 30 minute marketing consultations. You’ll have 30 minutes to speak one on one directly with me to get all of your tough marketing questions answers. I will also give you more action items you can implement immediately. If you’d like to take advantage of this offer, I need to get to know you first so I can figure out the best way to help you during our consultation. Fill out the form below so I can get to know you. After your submit the form, I’ll contact you to set up a time start working together. Good luck and happy marketing!
CLICK HERE TO GET STARTED WITH A COMPLIMENTARY MARKETING CONSULTATION. You have no excuse not to start!
Before I begin this post, I would like to express my deepest condolences for Mr. Padre, Tony Gywnn. Gywnn was a true icon for San Diego and national sports. It’s been a tough year for the Padres especially after already losing the great Jerry Coleman. We truly lost another leader and friend in San Diego sports so I’m happy to see all of the positive tributes to him locally and in the national media.
While we are all mourning the loss of Mr. Padre, baseball season is still in full swing and I know my San Diego Padres will want to do whatever they can to make Tony Gwynn proud! Despite our not so hot record, of course I’m cheering on my Padres. I love any opportunity I get to connect with my favorite baseball team. A few years ago a simple Tweet I posted got me VIP access to a Padres game. This year (May 2014) I was invited by the University Club to practice with the Padres in their batting cages.
I arrived to the Lexus Premier Club where I was greeted with appetizers and beverages. After mingling a bit, it was time for me to batter up! I got to bat at the very same spot Mr. Padre even once stood. I must say that my batting average wasn’t too bad! I had such a great time in the cages and even got a behind the scenes tour of the field at Petco Park.
Thanks to the University Club for this special behind the scenes experience. If you haven’t been to the University Club it’s home to one of the best views in San Diego and is the pre-eminent club for social and business connections in San Diego. Crowning the San Diego Symphony Towers, in the heart of beautiful downtown San Diego, it’s a place to build fulfilling, long-lasting relationships. They host effective, high-quality networking events such as the one I just attended and have many and business advantages. Members can also come by to relax or for a fine-dining experience with breathtaking views of the city. I’ve you haven’t been to the University Club, I highly recommend checking it out. If you’re interested, contact me and I’ll connect you with Michelle Belgar (on the left in the photo). She founded the Young Executive Society at the University Club and will be able to connect you with the right person to help you set up a tour and learn more information about joining.
I wish my San Diego Padres the best of luck as they continue to play ball with their hero now resting in peace. I’m so glad I had the unique experience of going behind the scenes with the Padres and I hope to see everyone out at a ball game some time soon.
Earlier this week I had the pleasure of being invited to 2 unique events. One being in LA and the other in Orange County so I figured this would be a great time for me to take a quick road trip, enjoy some fun experiences and also catch up with friends who live in my neighboring cities.
On Sunday afternoon I drove up to LA and returned to the gorgeous Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes. I stayed there a while back when I did a promotion for Klout at Terrana. This past Sunday I was invited back to celebrate their 5th birthday! The event consisted of a mouth watering farm to table lunch that really was reflective of the type of food Terranea serves, live music on the meadows and breath taking views in every part of the resort. I also had a chance to relax at their ocean view pool.
I had a great time and am glad I got to experience this momentous occasion. Before driving down to Orange County the next day, I finally had a chance to practice yoga at Bryan Kest’s Power Yoga Studio in Santa Monica. I set an intention to practice yoga whenever I travel and I have always wanted to check out this studio since I have taken workshops and classes by Bryan Kest. I loved the simple yet very fitting decor and the class was a great addition to my road trip. After class it was time for me to make my way down the coast to Laguna Beach for the Festival of the Arts- Pageant of the Masters Media Preview night. Little did I know what a treat I was in for!
The Festival of the Arts- Pageant of the Masters is a celebration of live artwork with real people and objects making up the portraits that are showcased on stage. I have never seen anything like it and can truly say it was the most unique and intriguing type of art my eyes have ever seen. I had a rare opportunity to go behind the scenes and see how the art was being created. From the elaborate sets, to makeup artists essentially serving as artists for the final masterpiece, it was truly fascinating.
During media night, we had a chance to see 4 live portraits on stage. As you can see from the above photo there are so many intricate details from the props to the clothing. I personally kept wondering how the people were able to hold still and not blink for almost 5 minutes. If you want to enjoy this unique type of art, the Festival of the Arts- Pageant of the Masters is open in Laguna Beach July 9th – August 30th, 2014. I definitely recommend it. If I get a chance to go back before the festival closes I absolutely will. My mini road trip was a success! Thanks to Ted Nguyen who organized the media night for social media influencers. I met Ted at a Twitter conference 5 years ago but thanks to the power of social media we stayed connect.
If you have recommendations for things to do/see in Orange County and LA let me know. I’m grateful to live in San Diego but would love to try and explore my neighboring cities more.
Introducing the new and improved MarketingMelodie.com! I have been working hard on many improvements for my company and website so I’m excited to share them with you. Here’s what’s new:
1. Welcome Message- I added a personalized welcome message to my home page to let you know that I’m ready to help you take your marketing efforts to the next level so you can start reaching the right customers and making more money. I also remind you about my complimentary resources including a consultation and posts on my blog. What are you waiting for? Schedule your complimentary consultation today!
2. Clients Page- I want to be more transparent to create a stronger relationship with current and potential clients so I’m sharing a select list of businesses I have worked with on my clients page. Please feel free to ask me about my relationship and work with any of the clients you see listed. I am happy to share more information and success stories to inspire you.
3. Features Page- The features page is a compilation of various media outlets and organizations that have featured my company, my personal work and other fun mentions. I have been meaning to compile this page for years now so I’m happy that it finally happened and I can now share it with you.
I’m constantly working to enhance and improve my own marketing efforts so my website is a work in progress. While there are still many other elements I can add, I am happy with these new additions to my website so far. Thank you all so much for checking out my new and improved website. Now let’s get started on working together so I can help you grow your business through marketing!