Balboa Park is one of my favorite places in the world. This year Balboa Park is 100 years old and they’re having a big centennial celebration that’s still going on! Here’s a little history for you: 100 years ago, in honor of the completion of the Panama Canal, the people of San Diego came together to host a phenomenal party. A year-long event to celebrate innovation, architecture, culture, and the natural beauty of the city of San Diego, the first US Port of Call in the Pacific.
Now, 100 years later, the celebration is happening all over again! There have been special events all year-long celebrating the art, science, and culture, of Balboa Park. That’s right, a year of breathtaking performances, awe-inspiring exhibitions, and historical experiences that showcases how San Diego has grown, and how Balboa Park has evolved over the last century. If you haven’t been to Balboa Park yet to celebrate this milestone, you have plenty of opportunities. I would like to invite you to join me for the Taste of Asia, a free event that is part of the centennial celebration. The event is at the International Cottages on Saturday September 26th, 12-5pm and Sunday September 27th, 12-5pm.
I am the Master of Ceremonies (Emcee) for the entire weekend and I couldn’t be more thrilled for this opportunity. I get to help celebrate 100 years of history at my favorite place while highlighting Asian culture and food. Serving as the Master of Ceremonies for events is a newer service I started offering through my marketing business and I’m so glad I decided do this. It’s a challenging job (any speaking job is!) but also very rewarding because I get to highlight the success and hard work of so many different people and organizations.
Taste of Asia is a cooperative effort of the Houses of China, India, Korea and the Philippines along with community partners.
- Chinese beef noodle soup, shaved ice and boba drinks
- Filipino lumpia, pancit and fruit drinks
- Indian samosa, curries and tea
- Korean Bibimbap (Saturday only)
Entertainment: While satisfying your taste buds, you’ll see performances from Chinese pipa lute music, lion dancers; Korean dance, drum and song; Indian classical and Bollywood dances; PASACAT to perform traditionally based Philippine dance and music; Chinese tai chi and erhu music, Xiamen University performers and cooking demos by the Dean of East Eat College and Taiko drummers.
Bring the whole family! There will be crafts including free Children’s lanterns; Indian henna; Korean Coloring Dancheong Fans and get your name written in Chinese!
Please let me know if you plan to attend and make sure you come say hello! I will be near the entertainment stage at the International Cottages. I look forward to seeing you to celebrate 100 years of Balboa Park while eating delicious Asian food. You can find more events to celebrate Balboa Park’s milestone, HERE.
If you’re interested in hiring me to emcee your next event, you can contact me directly and find out more information on my Speaking Page.
This has been a busy summer for me. In addition to running Marketing Melodie full time, I joined the cast of Asian Voices TV. Asian Voices is a TV show dedicated to promoting the diverse Asian & Pacific Islander (API) communities.
The show currently airs on TV through Channels 4SD, Cox 3 OC and TvK24 in LA. You can also find full episodes on the Asian Voices YouTube Channel after they air on TV. Today, I ask that you please help us keep this show on air as it’s in danger of being cancelled! The stations, want our program on air, but a limited budget is making the production challenging.
The show is the direct result of a small but dedicated, creative, passionate and talented team who have a common vision to provide the Asian community with a positive representation on mainstream television.
We need to raise a minimum of $8,000 to cover the remaining production costs and expenses. Whether it’s a $5 donation or $100, every dollar makes a difference! Our second season premiered on cable TV August 8, 2015. We need to deliver the remaining 6 episodes by the end of September or else the program will be cancelled and we won’t have an opportunity to showcase all of the wonderful accomplishments of the API community.
As an independently produced program, our success directly depends on support from our sponsors and community. By sponsoring Asian Voices, you will keep the show on the air and support its important mission of providing a voice in media for the API community.
As a bonus, your name will be credited on our show and you have a chance to view the upcoming episodes before they air! Anyone who donates $750 or more will be credited as an Executive Producer on the closing credits in each of our remaining 6 episodes.
Below is a full episode from Asian Voices Season 2. This is the second episode where I had the privilege of interviewing a Hollywood Reporter and Actress, turned Entrepreneur, Jelynn Sophia Malone who owns Mostra Coffee (my segment is from 8:06 to 15:30 in the video). You can see how important this show is to highlight Asian business owners, community leaders and organizations.
INBOUND15 is coming up in Boston September 8th-11th and I have your golden ticket to attend. That’s right, I’m giving one lucky winner an All-Access Pass to INBOUND15 at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center.
INBOUND15 has really stepped it up with amazing speakers and activities. Keynote speakers include Chelsea Clinton, Seth Godin and even the hilarious Aziz Ansari just to name a few! In addition to the keynotes, here is everything the All-Access Pass includes:
- Access to all 6 Keynotes
- Daily Networking Happy Hour
- Admittance to INBOUND Rocks
- Access to Club INBOUND
- Discounted Rate at 17 Hotels*
- Access to 170+ Educational Sessions
- 30+ Awe-Inspiring Bold Talks
- Eligibility for Keynote Meet and Greet
- Access to INBOUND 2015 Archived Content
- Free Lunch from 20+ Food Trucks
- Unlimited Beverages**
INBOUND fuels the passion that drives the most innovative and successful business leaders of our time. INBOUND’s purpose is to provide the inspiration, education, and connections to transform your business.
INBOUND15 is an event designed to help marketing and sales professionals, business owners, and agency executives deepen their knowledge of inbound marketing through a combination of inspiring keynote presentations, focused training and breakout sessions, expert-led small group workshops, innovative product demos, and exciting networking activities along with an amazing INBOUND Rocks concert.
The All-Access ticket I’m giving away costs $1,499. It will be completely free for a lucky winner! Check out all the information on INBOUND15 HERE. Now for the scoop on HOW YOU CAN WIN this high value prize!
Leave a comment on this post with 1 thing you want to learn from INBOUND15. Include your FULL NAME and EMAIL ADDRESS.
Your must have a valid email address so I can contact you if you’re the winner. Thats’s it. Easy to enter and win! Want to increase your chance of winning? Each additional activity you complete will earn you bonus entries:
- 2 BONUS ENTRIES- Join my Facebook page and “Like” or “Share” this post about INBOUND15. If you do one (Like or share), you’ll get 1 bonus entry. If you do both (Like and share), you’ll get 2 bonus entries.
- 1 BONUS ENTRY- Follow me on Twitter and Tweet this post to share the contest with your following. Make sure to include me in the Tweet @MyMelodie.
- 3 BONUS ENTRIES- Most of you know that I’ve got a SXSW 2016 PanelPicker in the running. If you vote for my session AND leave a comment you’ll get 3 bonus entries. You must leave a comment so I can track your vote.
The winner will be chosen by random and notified no later than Tuesday September 1st, 2015.
*Please note: By entering the ticket giveaway, you are signing up for Marketing Melodie’s Marketing Your Way to Success Newsletter. Recipients can opt out any time. Transportation and housing for Inbound15 are not included.
I am constantly scouring the web for marketing resources and educational content related to digital technology and social media. I also enjoy discovering things that are entertaining, healthy, beautiful and delicious. Links I Love is a series I’ll be posting weekly to share the best things I discover around the web. This is a great way for you to get to know me and my intention is that you’ll find something you love too!
1. 5 Things You Should Do Every Sunday to Reset for the Week Ahead- Any day that has SUN in it is wonderful. I love the idea of choosing workout outfits on Sunday! (whowhatwear.com)
2. 21 “Modern Family” Moments That’ll Make You Laugh Every Time- Any other Modern Family fans out there? (buzzfeed.com)
3. This Guy Used Science To Get An 86% Bigger Burrito At Chipotle- I’m craving Chipotle as I type this. (buzzfeed.com)
4. 7 Smart Questions to Ask When *You’re* Doing the Interviewing- There are many resources for people who are looking for jobs but it’s not as common to find tips for those hiring. It’s a tough job! (levo.com)
5. 14 of the most promising seed-stage enterprise startups- Reading about startups is always inspiring. Startup companies have so much passion and drive! (venturebeat.com)
6. 33 Things You Only Know if You’ve Worked at a Grocery Store- I love grocery shopping! Here are fun facts about a place we all go to. (thrillist.com)
7. All of Google’s—er, Alphabet’s—companies and products from A to Z- ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ Google has you covered with the entire alphabet. (qz.com)
8. Give Thanks To The People Who Make Great Vacations Possible– This is such a positive post about gratitude and traveling. (lajollamom.com)
9. How Freelance Article Writers Can Find Facts Fast — And Make Sure They’re True– Stating true facts from reliable sources can increase your credibility as a writer. (makealivingwriting.com)
What links did you love this week? Feel free to share with me in the comments.
Thanks again to the San Diego Hubspot User Group for inviting me to be their Keynote Speaker last month at the beautiful Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station. The event was a huge success, over 200 people signed up!
For those of you who missed the event or want to review the information, you’re in luck! My friends over at Animus Studios produced this awesome video for me of my keynote. Check it out here or on my YouTube Page.
I also offer a referral fee if you help me book a speaking gig. If my minimum speaker’s fee is met, you will get $500 just for making an introduction!