Happy 2012 everyone! I can’t believe another year has gone by. The start of a new year is always a great time for me to reflect on the previous year and set goals for the upcoming year but also appreciate the present moment and everything that’s led me to where I am today.
At the end of 2010 I decided to write Marketing Melodie in 2010: A Year in Review. I have a habit of discrediting many of my accomplishments because I feel like I can always do more. Writing this really allows me to appreciate and be grateful for everything that I have done rather than focus on what I haven’t. Just like I did for 2010 here’s a year in review of 2011 highlighting noteworthy events, clients, blog posts, friends, accomplishments, adventures and amazing opportunities.
While marketing is my expertise and passion, I have another passion; YOGA! I’m very grateful for one of my clients this year, La Jolla Yoga Center. Creating marketing campaigns and strategies for a yoga studio I love definitely makes me happy. I trained their team on using social media to grow their business and helped them get set up on Facebook and Twitter. They’re definitely doing a great job connecting with yogis on social media!
I’ve been practicing yoga for a few years and really wanted to strengthen my practice and take it to the next level. I contemplated getting my yoga teaching certification for a while. It’s a huge time commitment and I was really on the fence. Well I made the decision to go ahead with yoga teacher training and can now say, if you are ever on the fence, DO IT! I am so happy I completed my Yoga Teacher Training and wouldn’t trade the experience for anything. I began my training in January and completed my 200 RYT Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training at the inspirational La Jolla Yoga Center, located right on the beach! I met so many amazing new friends, learned so much about myself and really took my yoga practice to the next level.
I hosted the 2nd event in my Digital Media Dinners series. The topic: Social Media Branding. This was a great milestone because it officially turned Digital Media Dinners into a series rather than a one off event. I taught strategies on how to strengthen people’s brand across various social networks including review sites such as Yelp, group buying sites such as Groupon and location based sites such as Foursquare. I incorporated a variety of sites because marketing and social media is growing beyond just Facebook and Twitter.
Since I learn and receive so much from my online and social media community, I really want to give back. I did this by hosting Twestival San Diego. This event is hosted all over the nation using social media for social good by connecting communities offline on a single day to highlight a great cause and have a fun event. It’s entirely promoted via social media. Twestival San Diego was hosted at the Keating Hotel and all proceeds benefited the San Diego After School All Stars.
Me and a few other lovely Yogis were featured on KUSI demonstrating Bootcamp for Yogis run by my fellow yoga teacher trainee, Body By Mags. Check out the video below where I get my 5 minutes of fame while I’m smiling through holding a yoga tough pose and demonstrating yoga boot camp moves (Warrior has got nothing on me!).
VIDEO: Yoga Boot Camp Video
I successfully pulled my second April Fool’s Joke on Social Media! Everyone decided to wish me a Happy Birthday on April Fool’s this year!
The first annual Foursquare Day celebration took place in 2010 and I hosted Foursquare Day Hong Kong. This year I was in my home town, San Diego and had the opportunity to host Foursquare Day San Diego for my community at R Gang Eatery. Check in specials, complimentary wine, cocktails, delicious comfort food with an upscale twist, friends, badges and a good time was had! Foursquare Day on 4/16 (Yep that’s 4 squared which equals 16) is officially, my favorite geek Holiday!
Oh not to mention, I met my first Celebrity Chef, Rich Sweeney @ChefRicSweeney from Season 5 of Top Chef who is also the head of R Gang Eatery. You can read all about my addiction to food porn and cooking shows here.
I was interviewed by the San Diego Reader on using LinkedIn for Job Seekers. I shared my insight, advice and was gratefulto have my article published both in their paper and online! You can read the full article here.
Another Geek Holiday takes place in May! Star Wars day on May 4th! May the Fourth be with you! I celebrated with some fun posts on Social Media!
I really want to help others with yoga passion so I hosted my first yoga event: Yoga For the Busy Body at Hera Hub! I really want to provide an opportunity for other busy professionals and entrepreneurs to have a chance to experience the benefits of yoga while teaching them poses they can do on their own despite their busy lives. That’s exactly what I accomplished at this event.
I was cast in a Microsoft Commercial! It was such an amazing experience to work a full day on set as talent! You can read all about how I was casted in the Microsoft Commercial and then watch my commercial when it finally aired below!
I attended BlogHer for the first time as it was hosted right here in America’s Finest City. I connected with inspirational bloggers from all across the nation. It was great talking to so many people about their passions and seeing them creatively share it with others through their writing. I had a good time at the conference itself, attending workshops, checking out the booths, the networking events, parties and left with more swag than I knew what to do with!
Oh and I met another Celebrity Chef, Brian Markaley in the Season Final of Top Chef Season 3. He was hosting a BlogHer party!
Allison recently graduated from SDSU and I give her my highest recommendation to anyone who’s hiring as she’s currently on the market for a new job!
San Diegans experience a MAJOR BLACKOUT! But we united and got through it while making new friends! We proved that even during a black out social media still shines!
Fall is in the air (even though it’s always sunny in San Diego) which means time for a new fall wardrobe! I attended one of my favorite tweetups ever, an Epic event at the Nordstrom Rack Plaza Bonita Grand Opening. I’m a very lucky person, I always win things and that night I won a pair of Designer Hudson Jeans.
In 2009 I said to the universe that I want to meet my favorite author, Keith Ferrazzi. I finally met him 2 years later in San Diego at the Entrepreneur Challenge Fall Kickoff Event at UCSD. He autographed both my books and I learned some awesome networking tips from meeting Keith Ferrazzi.
The Nerds United! I tweeted and connected with amazing new friends from the Talk Nerdy To Me Lover community by hosting @JenFriel and the #nerdsunite crew in San Diego. We had a fun night at the Tilted Kilt San Diego and a nerdy sleepover!
After completing a successful Digital Media Dinners series, I hosted my first Digital Media Now Seminar- Personal Branding on Social Media at Pangea Bakery Cafe. Attendees learned how to make their personal brand cohesive with their business brand.
I was honored with an opportunity to speak to NATAS- National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences at their Social Media Workshop. Teaching television professionals how to use Social Media in their industry.
Thanks to the luxury car company, Infiniti and Social Media I enjoyed an amazing afternoon at the San Diego Bay Wine and Food Festival. I also met my 3rd celebrity chef this year, Sam The Cooking Guy!
I hosted my first Digital Media Now Webinar on How To Integrat Social Media Into Your Marketing. It gave me a chance to share my knowledge with people who can’t always be available and in San Diego to attend an in person seminar. While there were challenges to work out with my first webinar, I received great feedback and plan to host additional Digital Media Now Webinars in 2012!
I celebrated my Birthday on my lucky day, December 13th (It’s clearly not on April 1st). In the photo below I’m dressed as a Monster, holding a class with an M and Minty Wonderland and Mozart cupcakes. Yep M THEME PARTY!
I began my new venture at National University. I was hired as a Course Developer and Adjunt Professor at National University. My first class starts in January where I’m teaching a marketing class on Interactive Strategies.
Wow a lot has happened in 2012! If you read this entire post or even part of it, THANK YOU! As I reflect on 2011 I just can’t help but smile and be grateful for everyone and everything in my life right now. I am truly blessed and so excited to ring in 2012!
The speaker lineup for Digital Media Dinners- How To Build Your Social Media Community is officially confirmed! In addition to learning about Community Building from yours truly, my goal is to bring in a variety of professionals who can speak on different aspects of community building for your business. Each speaker brings a unique perspective and story to tell.
Introducing our panel of speakers:
1. Jim Trotter- Senior Writer, Sports Illustrated: Followers of the NFL and sports fans have long relied on Trotter for his dogged reporting and astute insights. Trotter joined Sports Illustrated in Sept. 2007. Before SI, he covered the San Diego Chargers for the San Diego Union-Tribune for more than a decade. Born in San Francisco, CA, Trotter graduated from Howard University with a degree in communications. In addition to his SI duties, Trotter is a contributor to ESPN’s First Take, the NBC San Diego affiliate and numerous radio shows across the country. Read more about Jim Trotter on his Sports Illustrated Page. Twitter: @SI_JimTrotter
Digital Media Dinners is honored to have Jim Trotter on our panel because he brings knowledge of traditional media to the online space. With his recent introduction to Social Media Trotter has already successfully branded himself as a subject matter expert in the sporting industry and boasts a community of over 28K Twitter followers who actively engage in conversation with him, look forward to his articles and turn to him for the latest news and updates. Digital Media Dinners attendees will learn insight from Trotter on how to authentically be a subject matter expert online, have people look forward to reading articles your articles/blog posts and how to incorporate relevant personal information into your updates.
2. Megan Pogoda- Community Manager, Google (Google Places): After graduating from Penn State University, Megan headed for California chasing eternal sunshine and sandy beaches. Megan knows the ins and outs of San Diego. She had the opportunity to travel the entire county for about a year as the promotional manager for various community events. From charity fundraisers and runs, to nightclub dance parties, community gatherings, live music events, art openings, farmers markets, health and fitness expos , conferences , trade shows and more, she quickly gained respect for all the great things America’s Finest City has to offer. As Google’s San Diego Community Manager, Megan reaches out to the community to encourage users to create more reviews, ratings and interaction with their local ecosystems using Google Places. Read more about Megan on the Google Places Blog. Twitter: @GoogeSanDiego
Google is one of the most innovative Digital companies in the world. They’re not afraid to launch new products and their tools from Gmail, Google Maps, Phones to Search and Google Places, etc play a significant role in the efficiency and success for many business owners and entrepreneurs. Digital Media Dinners couldn’t be more thrilled to have a representative from Google who can speak directly to the audience about community building since it’s what she does day in and day out. Megan will share strategies she uses for community building at Google that can be applied to your own business.
**UPDATE: Jeff had a scheduling conflict so our new speaker was Matt Browne- Founder, SDBloggers.com and Tech Correspondent, NBC San Diego**
3. Jeff Monday- Account Executive, Apple Inc.: Jeff Monday is an Account Executive on Apple’s iPad and iPhone in Business team. Jeff has been with Apple in various roles over the last ten years focused on delivering marketing and sales to customers in Southern California and the Southwest United States. Jeff enjoys exploring the ever-changing world of social media and in his spare time authors the blog mondaydots.com. Twitter: @tweetjeffmonday
Apple Inc. is an exemplary brand that successfully leverages the power of their community. Their customers essentially sell their products for them. Apple customers are fanatics, enthusiasts and loyal brand evangelists who authentically and passionately spread the word about their love of Apple Products. Imagine having thousands of people speak highly of you and authentically sell your products for you. Learn tips from Apple on how to create buzz for your own business, large or small. (See image below of a Facebook update I posted when I was in the market for a new computer. Within minutes the first 3 replies were Apple customers evangelizing for their products. A high percentage of replies after that also mention Mac).
DATE & LOCATION: Thursday, July 14 6:30pm - 8:30pm, Nik Software Headquarters 7588 Metropolitan Drive, San Diego 92108
AT DIGITAL MEDIA DINNERS YOU WILL GAIN:
- Hands-on, tactical tips to implement and incorporate immediately
- Knowledge on how to effectively engage in conversations on Social Media
- Tips on how to encourage interaction with your community and turn your audience into true advocates for your brand
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?:
- Business Owners and Leaders
- Marketing and PR Executives
- CMOs, Marketing Managers and Directors
- Product and Brand Managers
- Anyone interested in learning how Social Media will help grow your business
Dinner is sponsored by Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill and will consist of their Beach Mex Buffet with Grilled Chicken and Steak, rice, “no-fried” pinto beans, jack and cheddar cheese, lettuce, fresh guacamole, three signature salsas, soft tortillas and tortilla chips. Veggie Burritos available by request.
Digital Media Dinners is proud to announce Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill as our official food sponsor. Since Digital Media Dinners is San Diego based, we’re always excited to partner with other locally founded businesses. Rubio’s has a story that really speaks to San Diegans.
When Founder Ralph Rubio was in college, he and his buddies would head to the Baja village of San Felipe, where you could camp on the beach for free, catch some rays, and forget about studying. One night, a hungry Ralph spotted a taco shop with an unusual specialty advertised in the window: fish tacos. He ordered one, took a few bites, and was hooked.
Several years later, he opened his first restaurant – a walk-up stand in Mission Bay. Since that day back in 1983, Ralph has sold more than 50 million fish tacos. Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill now has over 180 locations. The Rubio’s menu continues to expand and evolve, with inspiration from Ralph’s continued culinary exploration of Mexico. In addition to the World Famous Fish Taco, Rubio’s also offers a plethora of other signature menu items and they’ll even make your event tasty with Rubio’s a-Go-Go Catering.
As a partner for Digital Media Dinners, Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill is also a prime example of how a business is successfully using social media to build their community. Their 40K+ fans on Facebook are loyal and their Twitter followers are very interactive.
How exactly is Rubio’s involved in Digital Media Dinners?
- Dinner will consist of Rubio’s healthy and delicious Beach Mex Buffet with Grilled Chicken and Steak, rice, “no-fried” pinto beans, jack and cheddar cheese, lettuce, fresh guacamole, three signature salsas, soft tortillas and tortilla chips. Veggie Burritos are available by request.
- Each guest who attends Digital Media Dinners will receive a voucher for a free taco of their choice when they visit Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill
- Rubio’s is giving away a $50 Rubio’s a-Go-Go® Certificate Good toward the purchase of Rubio’s a-Go-Go® catering menu items only.
To enter to win follow both Marketing Melodie and Rubio’s on Twitter and tweet “I want to win a ticket to @MyMelodie’s Digital Media Dinners & $50 @RubiosTweets gift card #DMDinners http://bit.ly/mz36lK”
For an additional entry, comment on this blog post and tell us what you’re looking forward to learning about most at Digital Media Dinners. Each person is allowed 2 entries. A winner will be chosen Tuesday July 5th at 9am PST. If you don’t win this contest, you can still be a winner by receiving $10 of the event by joining Marketing Melodie on Facebook. Facebook fans enter code: MelodieVIP upon check out. Code valid until July 7th, 2011. Good luck to everyone !
Calling all Videographers! I have raw footage. About 2.5 hours worth from my last Digital Media Dinners Event. The raw file size is 84G and the format is Apple ProRes 422, it’s ready to be edited and converted into something professional, fun and awesome that I can use as a marketing tool for future events.
Here’s what I need:
- You to have an external hard drive or some method to receive footage
- 2 minute commercial style video for Digital Media Dinners
- 5-6 minute documentary style video with event footage and testimonials
- Text added throughout various parts of the video
- Intro and Exit for the Video
- Voice over for parts of the video
- Your professional opinion on creating the videos. I have an idea of what I’d like, but you’re the expert so I would love your insight.
- Deadline: June 30th, 2011
Interested in submitting a proposal to work on this project? If so, please email me the following information. (If you don’t have everything on my list, no worries, email me what you have for consideration). Since I’d like the project done by the end of the month, I’m looking to get started immediately and move quickly!
- Link to your website
- Portfolio/ Sample videos preferably similar to what I’m asking for
- Link to any referrals or references from previous clients. Your LinkedIn Profile works great for this too. (*Hint being social media savvy will get you points!)
- Are you willing to do this on trade? Trade includes: Your logo on the video, marketing mentions throughout all my social networks, LinkedIn recommendation and referrals for your future clients. We can discuss further any other options that may better meet your needs so feel free to let me know what you’re looking for.
- If you’re not open to trade, how much will you charge?
If you’re a student and would like to get experience, but don’t necessarily have a profile built up yet, I would also love to consider you! You’ll have an opportunity to use the video in your portfolio, I’ll give you references and sign off for any school credit you may receive.
So friends, who do you recommend? Please send/share this posts since it details exactly what I need. Videographers, I look forward to hearing from you with your proposals and appreciate you taking the time to consider this project.
I’m very excited to announce the exciting lineup of panelists joining me at the next Digital Media Dinners taking place Thursday February 24th, 5:30-8pm at Jasmine Seafood Restaurant. We have some amazing professionals from extremely well known social networks! The event topic is Social Media Branding. The audience will be educated on strategies to strengthen their brand across various social networks including review sites (Yelp, MojoPages), collective buying sites (Groupon, Location), location based sites (Foursquare, Gowalla), Facebook and Twitter.
Our panelists will answer all your tough questions and objections on specific networks. They will also provide their expertise on how to ensure your brand is received the optimal positive brand exposure online.
1. Danny Wurst- Community Manager, YELP: Danny Wurst is the Community Manager of San Diego Yelp and a lover of all foods. Originally a Chicago native, he has a B.A. in Media Studies and Public Relations from Loras College and if you know where that is he will buy you a beer. He came to San Diego 2 years ago by way of the hotel industry and has been yelping ever since, earning him the role of “mayor of Yelp” in town. If you ask him what his idea of a great night on the town would be he’ll tell you “the three B’s” — good Booze…good Burgers….good Buddies, not necessarily in that order.
2. Kate Grafton- Account Manager, Groupon San Diego: Kate Grafton is an Account Manager for Groupon. Originally from the midwest, she earned her B.A. in Business Administration/Accounting from Monmouth College. Her love of travel and dislike of bad weather brought her to San Diego 8 years ago where she started her career in sales, marketing and training for small business owners. She travelled across the country consulting small businesses before transitioning into advertising sales. She sees opportunities in the growing collective buying industry so decided to make Groupon her new professional home. She is currently helping San Diego businesses grow their customer base through Groupon features, traveling in her free time, and enjoying beautiful San Diego.
3. Lee Mills- VP of Marketing, MojoPages & Board Advisor, Deal Current: Lee Mills is a highly experienced sales & marketing professional dedicated to delivering a positive ROI. He is a recognized marketing industry expert who has case studies published, frequently speaks at industry conferences and was named a Rising Media Star by Media Magazine in 2004. His focus is on providing intelligent strategies, proven tactics and ROI. For the last several years Lee has been serving as the VP of Marketing for MojoPages.com. In his spare time he’s a sought after Consultant, a Board Advisor for Deal Current and an iMarketers Association Council Member.
At Digital Media Dinners you will learn:
• Hands-on, tactical tips to implement and incorporate immediately
• Knowledge on how to improve your brand image
• Tools to customize a compelling brand message to attract qualified customers
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
* Business Owners and Business Leaders
* Marketing and PR Executives
* CMOs, Marketing Managers and Directors
* Product and Brand Managers
* Anyone interested in learning how Social Media will help grow your business
Reserve your spot today by registering HERE