Next weekend will be my 4th year attending SXSW in Austin and it’s my 3rd year speaking. Being a SXSW speaker is definitely an accomplishment I am very proud of. Back by popular demand I will once again be presenting my session Come As You Are Yoga on Saturday March 14th, 2015 at 9:30am in Room 8A at the Austin Convention Center. To bookmark my session in your SXSW Schedule, click here.
You might be thinking “there are thousands of SXSW sessions, why should I come to yours?”. Here are just a few reasons:
1. This is a unique session because it’s interactive and engaging. That’s right, you will actually be participating in a yoga class. All poses are modified so you can do them in your conference clothes. This is a great way to mix it up from all the sessions you’ll attend where you are sitting and listening. Every year I get at least one person who has never tried yoga before. I love that I’m introducing someone new to yoga at a tech conference! I also get very advanced yogis who are happy for an opportunity to practice while traveling. All levels are welcome.
2. Learn yoga poses to do at home and in the office– During our class I will talk about yoga poses you can easily incorporate into your busy lifestyle at work, while sitting at your desk and poses you can do at home. Not everyone can make it to a yoga studio or class but the wonderful thing about yoga is that it’s something you can do anywhere and everywhere (Yes even SXSW!). All attendees will receive a sheet with my yoga tips and a way to follow up with me with additional questions.
3. Prepare your mind and body for enlightenment– SXSW can be information overload. How do you know which sessions to go to? Which networking events to go to? How do you avoid the Fear of Missing Out (FOMO) syndrome? We will start the with an intention to let go of these expectations and fears so you can successfully navigate and enjoy every moment of your SXSW experience. In a sense, I’ll be preparing you for enlightenment at the conference! How cool would it be to return home and tell your colleagues about this experience ?
4. Relax at the quietest place in the convention center– No matter what is happening outside our yoga room, we still have the power to relax and turn inward before going back out into the chaos at the quietest place in the entire convention center, maybe even in all of downtown Austin. This is another beautiful thing about yoga. Someone could be standing right outside your window screaming, yet you have the power to acknowledge the disturbance, let it go and focus on your own yoga.
5. Network with other like-minded professionals– Yoga is the common bond that will bring us all together. Meet other successful entrepreneurs, business professionals and SXSW attendees who care about health and wellness enough to make it a priority during their busy day. Every year, great networking occurs both before and after this session. Business cards are exchanged, online connections added and new friends are made.
If you are going to be in Austin next week, let me know! I have less than 48 hours in Austin so I’ll be making the most of my time there. I already have a packed schedule for March 13th and March 14th but as a 4th year SXSW attendee, I know very well that schedules need to be kept flexible. If you want to guarantee to connect with me, then I’ll see you on Saturday March 14th, 9:30am at the Austin Convention Center, Room 8A! The full #SXSWYoga schedule can be found here. Have a wonderful SXSW everyone.
Happy 2015 everyone! I can’t believe how time flies and that we’re already in mid January. For my first post in 2015 I am happy to announce an upcoming workshop I’m hosting. I love kicking off the new year with an opportunity to do what I love. I am partnering with the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) to present Social Media Branding for Media Pros. I have presented to NATAS in the past and had a great time connecting with industry leaders in the media, so I’m grateful they invited me back!
Working in the media or a media related industry is a fun and exciting career. Media pros have the keys to the city, they are at the forefront of news, information, events and they are often well regarded public figures. No matter what role you hold at a media organization, whether it’s behind the scenes such as IT, admin, producer or a more public role such as talent or sales, it’s important to understand that your actions online represent your company. I often see media professionals write on their public social profiles “Views expressed are my own and do not represent my company”. While the idea of this sounds good, what you say online DOES represent your company no matter what is stated in your profile. The intention of my 90-minute workshop is to teach professionals in the television and media industries how to successfully integrate social media into their personal and professional brands. We will focus on strategies to strengthen your brand across various social networks. You will leave this particular workshop with the following key takeaways that you can implement immediately:
- How to leverage your social media brand to generate more revenue.
- How to ensure your personal online brand is simultaneously optimized to enhance your station’s or company’s brand.
- Knowledge on how to serve as a trusted subject matter expert as a television media professional to have prospects interested in working with you before even meeting you
This is an interactive workshop. We will be participating in group activities and creating online updates. It is recommended that you bring a laptop or tablet. Pen and paper will be provided in case you are unable to bring either. This workshop will also be webcast. More information can be found HERE and full details below:
Date: Thursday January 22nd, 2015
Time: 6pm- 8pm
Location: Groovy Like A Movie located at 5205 Kearny Villa Way Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92123
Cost: FREE for NATAS Members or $15 for non members
Registration: Click here to register
I am still looking for great examples of media professional who use social media well to include in my presentation. If you know of anyone, please let me know. Keep in mind, a media professional is not limited to someone who is TV or the radio. Thinks of people behind the scenes too, PR professionals, media sales executives, producers, etc. I’ve been working hard on my presentation and I’m really looking forward to connecting with you all next Thursday.
December is my favorite time of year. I get to celebrate my birthday on the 13th and it’s also a time filled with so much positive giving spirit and joy. This is why I’m excited that the Asian Culture and Media Alliance invited me to emcee their annual holiday fundraiser, Rhythm and Spice. It will be a classy, fun filled evening with great Asian food, wine, raffle, silent auction, live entertainment, DJ music and dancing! I will be hosting the fashion shows and introducing the entertainment, which means I’ll be on stage among beautiful and talented people, what an honor!
I am offering Marketing Melodie fans, 50% off tickets with the code: ACMA_CC19. There are a limited number of tickets available and it’s first come, first serve so make sure to get your tickets in advance HERE. Here are some highlights you have to look forward to on Saturday.
- Performance by Katriz Trinidad, a local San Dieagan who captured our hearts on NBC’s The Voice. She was praised by Pharrell Williams and showed so much poise and talent at such a young age.
- San Diego’s very own television and radio personality C.S Keys is hosting the live auction.
- Delicious food samples from a variety of Asian cuisine.
The main objective of the Asian Culture and Media Alliance is to provide a voice of unity and empowerment for the Asian American and Pacific Islander communities by promoting commonalities among all Asian communities as well as creating awareness of Asian culture, art, entertainment and businesses through media, networking and cultural events. This cause is extremely important to me, being that I belong to the community myself. With that said, I would love your support by attending this event. If you plan on coming, please let me know! I look forward to seeing you on Saturday December 27th.
EVENT HASHTAG #ACMAHOLIDAY
I am very honored and excited that the organizers of the San Diego Night Market invited me to emcee their event this coming Saturday October 4th. I’ll be at the main entertainment stage from 5pm-8pm where I have the privilege of introducing our very own Mayor Kevin Faulconer along with many other talented performers and distinguished members of the community.
What is a “Night Market” you might ask? Well just as the name suggests, it’s a street market, usually held outdoors that’s open at night. Night markets are organized so you can leisurely stroll through all the vendors, shop while getting some great savings all while enjoying authentic street food from different cultures. The San Diego Night Market in particular aims to fulfill the following mission:
- Promote Asian Pacific American culture in cuisine, arts, and music
- Support local businesses – Asian and Non-Asian, small and large
- Cultivate innovation, creativity, and entrepreneurship
- Foster volunteerism, leadership, networking, and teamwork
- Expand the cultural vibrancy of the San Diego region
My first experience of attending a night market was a few years ago when I was invited to Hong Kong for a speaking engagement. I had plenty of time to be a tourist, shop and enjoy everything Hong Kong had to offer. One of my stops was the “Ladies’ Market”, the most popular and busy night markets of the area. Even though I was told it would be busy, I was not expecting it to be as packed as it was. I snapped the photo to your right of ladies at the Ladies’ Night Market in Hong Kong. Keep in mind, this photo was taken around 11pm! People were excited about the new shipment of purses here. There was so much enthusiasm and energy from all the ladies (and gentlemen) at Ladies’ Market. It was definitely a fun experience which is why I’m looking forward to experiencing the night market culture right here in sunny San Diego.
On Saturday you can expect to satisfy your taste buds with delicious food, learn to cook at the various cooking demonstrations, be awed by amazing dance performances and so much more.
Here are the details for the San Diego Night Market:
Date: Saturday October 4th, 2014
Time: 4pm to Midnight
Location: Engineer Rd. near Convoy St. in the Convoy District
Cost: $2 entry fee
As usual, I’m hooking you up! I have two pairs of entry tickets to give away to two lucky winners. Each winner will also receive $10 to spend on food at the event. I’m basically giving you free dinner! What’s not to love about that? All you have to do to enter is to leave me a comment on this post about what you’re looking forward to the most at the San Diego Night Market. You can enter until 10pm on Thursday October 2nd.
If you have attended other night markets, I would love to here your experience. I also look forward to seeing you at the San Diego Night Market. Please remember to come say hi to me. I’ll be at the entertainment stage from 5pm-8pm and if I’m not making announcements on stage, you can be sure to find me enjoying some of the delicious food that will be offered at the event.
I’m honored to be hosting a LinkedIn workshop for the professional group Women in Business San Diego. It was very fitting that Women in Business San Diego found me and reached out to me through LinkedIn. I’ll teach you how your future customers can find you on LinkedIn too! This workshop open to both Women in Business San Diego members and also guests. The event will be located at the gorgeous spa like workspace for women, Hera Hub in Sorrento Mesa It will be very hands on. As a business professional, I understand how busy you are. If I just give you a list of things to update later, it may or may not get done. This is why I’ll work with you to ensure you leave with results that will start benefiting you immediately.
Here are the details on how you can join my LinkedIn Workshop:
Date: Monday September 15th, 2014
Time: 6pm- 7:30pm (Check in and networking will begin at 6pm, workshop begins promptly at 6:30pm)
Location: Hera Hub Sorrento Mesa 9710 Scranton Road #160 San Diego, CA 92121
Registration: Click here to register
Make sure to bring your laptop or tablet so you can access your LinkedIn page because my intention is for you to walk away with an updated profile that will help you optimize your professional brand and reach new customers. As a bonus for attending, you’ll be entered to win a complimentary 1 hour marketing consulting session with me. This will be your chance to get all of your marketing questions answered so I’m really looking forward to offering this.
In preparation for my LinkedIn Workshop, I also am asking for your help. If you’re a savvy LinkedIn user, please share with me how this site has helped you professionally. Also I am looking for some great profiles to showcase as examples. Let me know if I can use yours in the comments below and thanks in advance for your help.