Today I’m grateful for another year and what better way to show my gratitude than to connect with my community? This isn’t the first time I’ve blogged about birthdays. I pulled a little April Fools’ joke about my birthday a while back and I’ve also shared some fun facts with you about my special day, December 13th. Birthdays to me are always a great time for reflection and celebration. It’s also a day where you deserve to enjoy some special treatment.Well this year on my birthday I’d like to give you a gift by sharing some secrets with you on how to make your special day a little sweeter with the help of businesses and retailers who offer awesome birthday promotions.
Let’s face it. Times are tough so a lot of people aren’t giving as many birthday gifts as they used to. Also as an adult, the birthday party gifts you receive just aren’t as fun as they used to be. The My Little Pony collection or Hot Wheels set that gave us unlimited hours of enjoyment have turned into tchotchke items that end up in a White Elephant exchange (Hey I’m just being honest!). Well here are 13 fun birthday promotions from retailers that you’ll actually enjoy and appreciate. I have chosen the ones on this list because I have either redeemed them myself or feel that many of you will enjoy them and of course there’s 13 because 13 is my lucky number.
1. Aveda- This my favorite birthday promotion. It’s more for the ladies, but gentlemen you can also score this goodie and share it with your mom/sister/wife/lady in your life. Become a member of Aveda.com and get a complimentary Personal Blends™, Pure-Fume Spirit™ or body care product ($25 value) custom blended with the aroma of your choice. Aveda’s Pure-Fume™ aromas are powered by pure essential oils, and 90% of them are certified organic. When you go in their store, they have an entire station dedicated to making your personal product and you leave with a full size product, not a tiny sample size.
2. Baskin-Robbins- Enjoy a free scoop of ice cream from Baskin-Robbins when you sign up for their birthday club. I’m not big on ice cream, I prefer sorbet which luckily Baskin-Robbins does have. Baskin Robbins also has a cool promotion to keep you at the top of their mind by offering a half birthday gift. It’s not as sweet as a free scoop. It’s a buy one get one free scoop, but I still think it’s awesome that they acknowledge your half birthday. I was definitely surprised but also happy when I received an email from them wishing me a happy half birthday in June.
3. Benihana- Sign up for “The Chef’s Table” email list and get a $30 gift certificate during your birthday month. The offer is good for those 13 and up and can only be used Monday-Thursday but $30 is a pretty generous offer. I treated myself to a nice little sushi lunch at Benihana.
4. Big Bear Lift Ticket- This one is for all of you snowboarders and skiers. Yep, Big Bear the home of real snow that’s man made gives you a free lift ticket on your actual birthday. If you aren’t born during the season, you can still ride on the Snow Summit Scenic Sky Chair for free on your birthday. Lucky for me the lifts are always open in December and I was able to redeem this promotion one year (On my 21st birthday to be exact). I had a group of friends who were happy to snowboard with me on this day. And below is an actual photo of me snowboarding while catching some air in Big Bear!
5. Catalina Express- Who doesn’t love to travel on someone else’s dime? Take the Catalina Express into Catalina Island on your birthday. I have always wanted to come Catalina for a getaway and I’ve never actually had an opportunity to. December usually isn’t the prime time to visit Catalina either so I probably won’t be able to redeem their birthday deal which means I’ll have to come here for another occasion But for your spring and summer babies, from what I hear, this is a great birthday getaway. Below is a photo my friend Chris Kirkman took on his recent getaway to Catalina.
6. Hooters- Join the Hooters Eclub and receive 10 free wings on your birthday. This is another club I’m not a member of but I’m sure there are some of you who will be interested.
7. iHop- Join the Pancake Revolution at iHop and you’ll receive a stack on your birthday. You’ll also receive a free stack just for signing up. I haven’t redeemed this one before but if you love pancakes, this is a pretty good deal.
8. Medieval Times- Just like Catalina Island, this is another place I have always wanted to visit but haven’t yet had the opportunity to. I just learned that if you sign up for the King’s Court you receive a free admission on your birthday. If anyone has been here, let me know your thoughts and if you feel it’s worth the trip. I love interactive performances so this place sounds like it’s right up my alley.
9. Noodles and Company- Sign up for the Noodlegram and you’ll receive a complimentary bowl of noodles you can redeem on your birthday month. I redeemed this last week and enjoy a tasty dinner. As they like to say “We don’t sing, we Sauté.”
10. Red Robin- Join the Red Robbin EClub and receive a free burger on your birthday. This is another deal I’m not signed up for but I’ve heard good things from others who have enjoyed their free burger.
11. Rubio’s- Sign up for the Rubio’s Beach Club and they’ll send you a gift certificate redeemable for a free meal (up to $7). I received mine a couple weeks in advance so I was able to redeem it this year. As an added bonus you’ll receive a free taco upon signing up.
12. Sonic- Sign up for Sonic Cruisers, Sonic’s official fan club, and you’ll receive a coupon on your birthday for your choice of a regular order of tots, a medium fountain drink or a regular cream slush. This doesn’t seem like a big gift but I’m including it on my list because it wasn’t until recently that a Sonic opened up near San Diego and I remember people swarming to the joint just to finally eat at a place that we’ve been seeing so many commercials for but never had a chance to try.
13. Victoria’s Secret- Another one that’s mostly for the ladies. If you get on the Victoria’s Secret mailing list they’ll send you certificate for $10 off a $10 or more purchase to use during your birthday month. This comes in pretty handy if you’re like me and shop here anyway. If there’s nothing you need here during your birthday month, $10 is definitely enough to score you at least 1 pair of nice panties so essentially you’ll receive a close to free product (you pay tax).
Tips for Successfully Redeeming Birthday Freebies
- Read all the fine print! Some promotions are only good for the day of your birthday, others give you an entire week or month to redeem the promotion. Make sure your promotion hasn’t expired when you go to redeem it.
- If you have any doubts, call ahead of time to make sure the particular location you’re visiting is participating. Some businesses are franchised and not all owners have the same rules as others so there may be birthday offers that are only valid at certain locations.
- If you’re dining at a restaurant with a birthday promotion, tell the server before she takes the order, not after you get the bill. Oh and make sure to tip on the entire total that the meal would have cost rather than just the discounted amount.
- HAVE FUN ENJOYING YOUR SPECIAL DAY AND HAVE A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Well there you have it. My birthday gift to you! If you are wondering if there is anything nice you can do for me on my birthday, you can come take a yoga class. Yep I’m offering you another gift and that’s a complimentary yoga class! Just check out my yoga schedule and let me know whenever you’d like to come take a class. And last but not least, I must share with you my favorite place to make a wish list and that’s on My Registry. You can register any gift from any where all in one place. Everyone deserves to get gifts they actually want. So go ahead and get started with your very own registry.
I enjoyed a really relaxing Thanksgiving this year. I dined out at a nice restaurant in San Diego. It’s the first time I’ve ever eaten out on Thanksgiving and it was definitely a nice change of pace than cooking at home. I also enjoyed a gorgeous sunset and amazing view!
Upon returning home from dinner, I couldn’t help but notice “Black Friday” pop up on every social media update . Since Thanksgiving is the start of Holiday shopping we all know it goes hand in hand with Black Friday! Although I have shopped on Black Friday, it’s not a regular routine for me. For many, Black Friday is all about getting the best deals! It’s a great opportunity to save on all the things you love. But I’ve got an even better idea on getting the best deals and saving: Free technology tools! I’m so thankful for so many technology tools that don’t cost me a penny! From entertaining me, helping me grow my business and keeping me connected with friends, I’m so grateful for these resources. Here are 5 of my favorites and how they seriously fuel my life!
1. Hulu- Many of you are probably Black Friday shopping for a new TV! I watch all of my TV through Hulu and definitely don’t mind watching commercials when I’m saving on my cable bill! Hulu is an online video service that offers a selection of hit shows, clips, movies and much more. I watch TV sporadically, whenever I want to relax so I don’t watch any particular show on a regular basis. My favorite shows to watch on Hulu are Iron Chef America, Cupcake Wars, Diners Drive Ins and Dives (Yes I’m addicted to food porn!) Luckily my favorite shows don’t require me to watch a previous episode to get it since they’re not series so I can watch any episode at my leisure.
As you can see with my favorite technology tools, I save money on my cable bill, my music playlist, my phone and my phone bill! I’m also more efficient and more organized. Better than Black Friday Specials? Well I’d definitely say so!
Happy Foursquare Day! I’m honored to host Foursquare Day San Diego at R Gang Eatery tonight! Even if you can’t make it, you can still celebrate Foursquare Day and the spirit of Foursquare each time you check in somewhere! To make Foursquare a tool that’s even more valuable I’ve asked my network their favorite Foursquare Specials. Here are some great specials people have shared with me. Please note, specials change periodically so you’ll have to check with the actual venue before going to see if the special is still valid.
Other resources to find Foursquare Specials include: 4SquareOffers.com. You enter your city, street or zip code to find offers near you. The Foursquare Blog also keeps up to date on many nationwide specials.
Bubs- There are 2 locations in San Diego: Pacific Beach and the Gaslamp. Both locations offer Free Tator Tots with your check-in and first round of drinks bought!
Cafe Coyote- Receive a free Mexicana Quesadilla Tortilla Appetizer with check-in and entree or cocktail purchase. The Mayor can ask the manager for additional specials
Chili’s Bar and Grill (Multiple Locations)- Check-in and receive a free order of Chips & Salsa! The more the merrier; Check-in with 3-or-more friends and receive one free appetizer for your table!
Currant- Free Popcorn of the Moment or a $.10 Sangria or well cocktail on your 3rd check-in.
Del Mar Racetrack – Mayor receives a VIP paddock tour, four clubhouse admissions, their name on the tote board and will watch a race from the Winner’s Circle.
Double Deuce- Complimentary signature Double Deuce Welcome Shot when you check-in!
Harney Sushi- 50 cent small hot sake with check-in and purchase
Hotel Del Coronado- Check-in and buy a flight of wine to get a free flight of cheese or chocolate at ENO Wine Room. Valid after 5pm, Tues-Sat.
Pastalini Miramar (Multiple Locations) - 10% off your order w/ every check-in + free soda for the Mayor
Ra Sushi- Check-in and get a free order of Edamame or a Miso Soup.
Red Pearl Kitchen- Free Appetizer + 50% off all bottles of wine every day with check-in
Souplantation (Multiple Locations) – 15% off your bill with check-in
Sports Authority (Multiple Locations)- Spend $100 and get a $25 Cash Card. Check-in to unlock this offer.
The Tipsy Crow- 50% off your tab for every fourth check-in! Foursquare Mayor gets their tab 50% off anytime.
Wavehouse Bar and Grill- 10% off your bill with check-in. If you’re the mayor, you get $3 wells.
West Coast Tavern- 20% off on your total order every 3rd check-in!
There are many other great Foursquare specials offered around the city and nationwide. I’ll continue to update this list so if you know of other specials, please share them in the comments!
I’d like to take this time to express my gratitude for everyone who’s been a Marketing Melodie supporter and fan. Whether you periodically read my blog, regularly interact with me on Twitter and Facebook or are a valued client who invests in my services, I sincerely appreciate you!
To thank everyone for their support, I’m hosting another Social Media Swag Bag giveaway! I know Swag can often be clutter but I’ve taken the initiative to find things that are practical and useful. I’ve posted tips on Hosting Successful contests on Social Media and have already given away fun Social Media Swag but since I’m very active in the social media scene, I’m constantly acquiring more goodies to share with you! Read more
I heard about the Weekend U Networking/ Introduction event that took place on March 16th and decided to stop by after work. All I knew is that Weekend U was a class to educate people on the internet. At first I wasn’t sure I was the right candidate for Weekend U since I already work in the Internet industry but I quickly learned that the course empowers internet users of all levels.
After a bit of networking, Dmitry Shapiro, an Internet Entrepreneur who most notably founded Veoh Networks took the stage and immediately captured my attention with teasers of powerful information he’d reveal during Weekend U. I was impressed by the myriad of topics he touched on that are essential to our internet success yet ignored by many. Read more
Most of us have heard of Craigslist but how many of us actually use it? When deciding on a blog topic today I knew I wanted to write about something with a plethora of different functions. I chose Craigslist because the service is so dynamic that you can accomplish almost anything you set your mind to on here.
Did you know that Craigslist is:
- Is responsible for billions of dollars of interpersonal commerce—more than any other stop on America’s internet?
- Provides the majority of housing and jobs for the nation’s urban population?
- Has grown in web traffic 100% a year since it’s creation over a decade ago?
- Is 99.99% FREE to use (Small fees are charged for Hiring and some Housing Ads)? Read more