I grew up in Southern California and absolutely love everything about living in America’s Finest City, aka: San Diego. When Verizon Wireless asked me to be an ambassador for their #MoreSoCal campaign, I couldn’t have been more excited!
You’re probably wondering, what is the #MoreSoCal campaign? Participants are encouraged to share what they love about Southern California! The weather, the people, the cutting-edge fashion, the entertainment. SoCal is where people go to see and be seen. Anyone who wants to participate can simply Tweet or post a photo on Instagram about a SoCal experience they can’t get enough of using the hashtag #MoreSoCal. The collective posts using the #MoreSoCal hashtag creates an unique image gallery of all the amazing things we’re able to see and do in So Cal.
As a part of their Ambassador program I have been actively Tweeting and Instagraming my amazing SoCal experiences with my brand new LG G pad compliments of Verizon. Having this device has made me a lot more efficient in getting work done and staying connected while enjoying San Diego.
Here are a few snapshots of why I love and want #MoreSoCal. These photos were taken in the few short weeks the campaign has been running so you get an idea of just how fantastic SoCal life can be!
Running on boardwalk in SoCal means bumping elbows with bike riders, roller bladers, people tossing footballs, frisbees and even hula hoopers. A guy set up a station that offered free hula hooping for anyone who wanted to have some fun. I took a break from my run to bring back childhood memories. I soon came to the realization that I was getting just as good of a workout from hula hooping as I was with running so I hula hooped for a good 15 minutes before running off into the sun.
Baseball season is back and I couldn’t be happier! I love root, root, rooting for my Padres! This snapshot was taken on Opening Day where a salute to our military was in order before the game. The gorgeous weather and view make the games even more enjoyable.
SoCal is known for being a pioneer in the healthy and clean eating movement. The two food porn photos are the epitome of healthy yet delicious food in SoCal. I’m enjoying a fresh homemade south west kale salad poolside and then I attended a party where I noshed on delicious gluten-free, vegan version of nachos. The “chips” are sweet peppers and the toppings are fresh beans cooked down with veggies and spices.
You’ve seen scenic views of SoCal on the beach and poolside, but wait, there’s more! Yep, a mountain view is just a short 20 minute drive away. We really do have everything at our doorstep. Here I am wine tasting with my friends from Gogobot San Diego at Orfila Winery in Escondido, just north of San Diego. I am in love with the scenery!
WORKSHOP: How to Grow Your Yoga Business with Social Media- Saturday March 29th at La Jolla Yoga Center
La Jolla Yoga Center holds a special place in my heart. This is where I had the pleasure of doing my yoga teacher training. I’ve met so many amazing friends and yogis in this space. I’ve also advanced my yoga practice and learned that advancing my yoga practice isn’t just all about sticking a challenging pose. This is why I’m so thrilled to return to La Jolla Yoga Center this Saturday to host a workshop: How to Grow Your Yoga Business with Social Media. This workshop is conjuction with their current teacher training and also open to the public.
This workshop will benefit anyone who works in the fitness, health and wellness business, not just yoga. Here are all the details:
As a yoga professional you’re an integral part of enhancing people’s health and well-being. In such a personal industry, it’s important to strategically market yourself to keep your students up to date, encourage them to attend your classes and be a trusted resource. With an abundance of digital technologies available, it’s easy to become overwhelmed when creating a marketing strategy. At this workshop, you’ll learn how to navigate social media tools such as blogs, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to attract more clients, grow your business and be a valuable resource in your industry all while maintaining your true integrity as a yoga professional.
It is recommended that attendees bring a laptop or tablet to participate in the interactive activities. If a laptop isn’t available, please bring a notepad and pen.
- Actionable content and tips you can implement immediately to start marketing yourself as a yoga and wellness professional
- Knowledge on how to serve as a trusted subject matter expert and resource
- Understanding on how to use Social Media tools to create a compelling brand
Date- Saturday March 29th, 2014
Time- 4:30pm (check in). The workshop starts at 4:45pm and goes until 6pm.
Location- La Jolla Yoga Center- 7741 Fay Avenue, La Jolla, CA 92037
Cost- $29/online, $39 at the door
Parking- The nearby Bank of America parking lot is free on the weekends. You can also find street parking, but if there is a sign make sure it says “2 hour parking”.
I am so excited to share my marketing skills at the same place where I grew so much in both my personal and professional life through yoga. If you have attended one of my workshops in the past, a lot has changed in the social media landscape so I can guarantee you’ll learn new strategies. If you can’t attend, please pass this info along to someone you might know who can benefit from this information.
Oxford Dictionary named “Selfie” the word of the year for 2013. This perfectly captures our social media crazed generation. If you don’t know what a selfie is, Oxford Dictionaries defines it as:
(n.) a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website.
I recently posted this selfie to show the magic of photography and that before and after photos can sometimes be misleading.
It’s a before and after photo of me “losing 15 lbs” with both photos taken less than 15 minutes apart. I captioned it with a few “Selfie tips”. The photo generated some buzz and soon Stacey Ross of San Diego Bargain Mama reached out to me to see if she could include me in her article about selfies for TheOnlineMom.com. My photo was one of the ones that inspired her to make sure everyone could usher in the New Year with the perfect selfie. She presents 7 tips for taking sensational selfies. Her first tip is courtesy of me:
1. Shed excess weight almost instantly! Social media educator and founder of Marketing Melodie, Melodie Tao, shared with her colleagues secrets that many marketers might not ever wish to: “Wooohooo! I Lost 15lbs in 15 minutes! It’s that easy! And also proof that ‘before’ and ‘after’ photos are misleading. On the left ‘before’ photo, I zoomed in and was slouching and sticking my stomach out. Fifteen minutes later on the right ‘after’ photo, I zoomed out, stood up straight and threw in the ‘skinny arm on hip trick!’ You can now see how much we actually have control, even before Photoshop is used!” Yes, angles, arm positioning, posture and zoom, made my before and after possible.
Other tips include:
2. Consider the lighting
3. Improve your headshots immediately
4. Take off the phone cover
5. Use your arm to frame the best image
6. Play around with lenses and filters
7. Lastly, if you’re a mom: Sensor your kids!
To read the full post and learn how to ensure you help Oxford’s word of the year live up to its name for the rest of 2013 and into the new year, click here.
Thanks again to Stacey for featuring me in her selfie article. I do hope that you learn at least one or two new tips you can apply to your next potential Facebook profile photo. For a few more laughs, here is my favorite late night comedian, Jimmy Kimmel asking pedistrians on the street if their profile photo is a selfie.
5 Ways to Make Small Business Saturday your Best Shopping Day this Holiday Season #ShopSmall #SmallBizSat
Thanksgiving hasn’t even arrived and I’m already hearing Holiday music every where. I wonder if there have been studies done correlating people’s spending habits to the music they hear? With the amount of emails I get and ads I see about Black Friday and more recently Cyber Monday, it makes me feel like both businesses and consumers have mastered these two designated shopping days. So today, I’d like to give you some insight on yet another day you can shop to get into the Holiday spirit. That day is Small Business Saturday. This year Small Business Saturday is on November 30th, 2013! Taken directly from Wikipedia:
“Small Business Saturday is an American shopping holiday held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving during one of the busiest shopping periods of the year. First observed on November 27, 2010, it is a counterpart to Black Friday and Cyber Monday, which feature big box retail and e-commerce stores respectively. By contrast, Small Business Saturday encourages holiday shoppers to patronize brick and mortar businesses that are small and local”.
Being a small business owner myself, I love the opportunity to support other hard working individuals. Small businesses create jobs and small businesses boost the economy. Let’s show as much support for our small businesses this year as we do to the big box stores. To make this the best Small Business Saturday for you, here are 5 ways for you to make Small Business Saturday your best shopping day.
1. Register your American Express Card- American Express originally coined and promoted Small Business Saturday and they continue to encourage consumers to shop small on this day. To make Small Business Saturday even more successful, American Express will generously give you a $10 statement credit if you spend $10 or more at a small business on this day. You must register your card in advance here. It takes just a few minutes to sign up here. After you’ve registered your card, you can check out American Express’ directory of small businesses that are participating in their promotion.
2. Shop Smart- Just like you strategically plan out your Black Friday shopping trips, plan out your Small Business Saturday shopping. Think about things you may need, people you want to give gifts to, small businesses that may be owned by friends or family and check to see if any businesses you love are offering specials. I’ve made it a tradition each year to spend Small Business Saturday shopping for things that I’ll use to host friends for my birthday in December. (Speaking of birthdays, make sure you check out 13 Happy Birthday Promotions for You). I know I’ll have to spend money anyway, so why not take advantage and Shop Small on this day. Last year I bought party supplies at a Liquor Box, one of the top local markets in La Jolla. The owner was extremely friendly and he proudly had a “Shop Small” sticker on his window. He made to sure remind me to sign up for the American Express promotion (I had already done it but it was great that he was promoting it). The year before that, I bought delicious cupcakes for friends to enjoy from CUPS.
3. Use your social influence- Help everyone enjoy a day dedicated to supporting small businesses. You always hear small business owners saying that “Word of Mouth” is their most successful form of marketing. Well Social Media is the largest form of “Word of Mouth” so make sure to spread the word online! Tweet with the #ShopSmall and #SmallBizSat Hashtags, encourage your friends to sign up for their statement credit on American Express. Share this article and others promoting Small Business Saturday.
4. Dine with Friends- If shopping isn’t your thing, then take this opportunity to try a new restaurant or revisit your favorite one. What a great day to make an excuse to catch up with a friend. Thousands of restaurants are considered small businesses so you’ll have plenty of options to satisfy your culinary cravings. If you both have registered American Express Cards, politely ask the waiter to split the bill so you both get savings. Dining with friends always reminds of the time I met Keith Ferrazzi, the author of my favorite business book Never Eat Alone.
5. Take advantage of Small Business Saturday promotions- Aside from the American Express promotion, see if any other small businesses are offering promotions. I was very happy to receive my first email promoting Small Businesses by Uber, a transportation company that makes a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers. They encourage consumers to sign up for the American Express statement credit and use it on an Uber for $10 off. They also have many small business stories on their blog. (Side note: If you’ve never used Uber, you can use my code: UBERSDMEL for an additional $10 off your first ride. ) Yep, beat the Holiday traffic by taking Uber instead. Pay attention to other small businesses who may be offering specials or promotions on this day.
If you have any other tips on how to be a successful shopper on Small Business Saturday please let me know in the comments. Likewise, if you’re a business owner and you’re offering a promotion for Small Business Saturday, please comment below as well. Happy Small Business Saturday!
October was National Eczema Awareness month. For the first time, I posted about this disease, I passed out stickers, bracelets and did my best to educate everyone about Eczema both online and in person. I was extremely grateful for everyone who showed their support by wearing my stickers, reading my posts and in general educating themselves more about this horrible disease.
Now that it’s November I want to make sure that Eczema awareness continues all year long. Social Media has revolutionized the ability for us to spread information. It’s also revolutionized the way fundraisers are being held. Gone are the days of holding 24 hour telethons and in are online fundraising campaigns. I have personally donated to a plethora of online fundraising campaigns from causes to helping needy kids to cancer research and animal rescue yet I have never donated to a cause that directly impacts me. Not sure why I never thought to do this, but now is a better time than never.
I’m launching my very own online fundraiser called “Itching for a Cure”. My goal is to find a cure for Eczema. It’s taken me over 20 years to finally speak out about this skin disease. I have been living with moderate to severe eczema my entire life and have tried every treatment imaginable, yet am still not cured. Every doctor and medical professional will tell you that it’s a chronic condition with no cure, so it’s time for me to take matters into my own itchy hands. I WILL LIVE TO SEE A CURE FOR ECZEMA and I 100% believe this.
You’re probably wondering, what is Eczema? Eczema, also known as Atopic Dermatitis is a skin disease. The symptoms include dry, sensitive skin with an intensive itch. Luckily, eczema is not contagious and cannot be transferred from skin contact or bodily fluids because I would not wish my suffering on any human being.
This campaign is to help Eczema sufferers all over the world. If you would like to donate to a cause that directly impacts me, I encourage you to make a contribution. All proceeds of this campaign will go toward finding a cure for Eczema. The money will be distributed to things such as the National Eczema Association, Eczema support groups and Eczema research. My goal is to raise as much money as possible until there is a cure. I am aiming high with $113,000 because 13 is my lucky number and I want to have access to as many resources as possible in my quest to find a cure. Even if you donate $1, every single penny is appreciated. I’m itching for a cure and look forward to having you join me in my quest.
You can read my entire story and struggle with Eczema here. Thank you in advance for your consideration and taking the time to read about Eczema. Even if you’re not able to make a contribution, perhaps you can share this with someone who cares about the cause at least you are a little more educated about the cause. Thank you all so much, I’m itching for a cure and grateful for an opportunity to raise funds.
Hello Marketing Melodie readers! It’s been a busy summer/fall for me. I’ve been teaching social media workshops and classes, creating marketing classes, working with clients to optimize their online presence and I’ve also been traveling. I’m grateful that no matter where I travel to (my most recent trip being to Chicago), I am always happy to return to home sweet San Diego. Now that I’m back I have some time to share things I’m working on. I’ve been hosting Digital Media Now workshops for a few years now. Our Digital Media Now for Yogis workshop this summer at Riffs Yoga Yard was such a success that we’re bringing it back! If you want to learn how to use social media to grow your business, then you’re in luck. The next Digital Media Now for Yogis is coming up on Saturday November 2nd, 2013. Here are all the details:
Workshop Topic: Personal Branding on Social Media- With an abundance of digital technologies available, it’s easy to become overwhelmed when creating your own marketing strategy. In this workshop, you’ll learn how to navigate digital marketing and social media tools such as blogs, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to attract more clients, grow your business and be a valuable resource in your industry.
- Date: Saturday November 2nd, 2013
- Time: 12-1:30pm
- Cost: $39 Early Bird (Before Oct 25th), $49 Regular Price
- Location: Riffs Acoustic Music and Yoga Yard- 5510 La Jolla Blvd La Jolla, CA 92037
- Register: Click HERE to sign up and reserve your spot
- Actionable content and tips you can implement NOW (No Opportunity Wasted) to start marketing yourself as a yoga/ fitness professional.
- Knowledge on how to serve as a trusted subject matter expert and resource in yoga and fitness.
- Understanding on how to use Social Media tools to create a compelling brand.
It is recommended that attendees bring a laptop. If a laptop isn’t available, please bring a notepad and pen. It’s been almost 6 months since the last Digital Media Now for Yogis workshop. Within that time the social media landscape has completely changed, new tools have surfaced along with new opportunities to market your business. My workshops are different every time and my material is always updated to reflect the continuously changing landscape of social media. If you came last time but want to come again, I guarantee you will learn something new!
If you run a yoga teacher training program and are interested in having this valuable program as part of your training, please let me know and I’m happy to discuss more details with you. I look forward to seeing you at Riffs in a few weeks and remember to reserve your spot by registering in advance HERE.