It’s been over 10 years since I have stepped foot in Knott’s Berry Farm, 10 years too long! I have fond memories of coming here as a kid. I would stay up all night with knots (or should I say Knott’s) in my stomach from the anticipation of riding Montezuma’s Revenge and going upside down on Boomerang. I remember mining for gold, trying boysenberries for the first time and meeting Snoopy. Everything I just wrote reminds me of how much I love Knott’s Berry Farm so you can imagine my excitement when I received an invitation to attend their media night last Thursday for Knott’s Scary Farm. It’s described as the largest and most terrifying Halloween event in Southern California with 11 mazes, 1000 monsters, 2 shows and 13 thrill rides. I invited my friend Jen from San Diego to come with me. We drove to Orange County (Buena Park) and arrived to the media check in at 6:30pm and received a press kit with goodies that included a schedule of activities, tarot cards and a special skeleton key that granted us access to special rooms in many of the mazes. Keep reading to find out about my frightening experience at Knott’s along with 7 reasons why Knott’s Scary Farm is the Halloween attraction you don’t want to miss.
After checking in, we entered the park and were immediately greeted by scary creatures roaming around in costume. I knew I had to be prepared for monsters jumping out at me all night! This leads me to reason number 1 to attend Knott’s Scary Farm:
1. You will be spooked during your entire visit!- That’s right, everywhere you turn will have a scary surprise!
We made out way to the media reception and I was happy to run into many of my Orange County and LA social media friends who I don’t get to see often. It was great catching up with everyone while enjoying delicious and scary treats including the famous boysenberry pie and Frankenstein desserts! I am blessed to be connected with so many smart and successful leaders in the social media and tech community online. Social media allows me to keep up with everyone’s day to day lives so when I see a social media friend in person, we take off right where we left off, which is from our last Tweet. Reason number 2 to attend Knott’s Scary Farm:
2. The sweet treats!- The media reception was filled with special Halloween treats like the Frankenstein and skull shaped chocolates filled with berries and cream. I am not sure if they sell these around the park but I do know they always have an abundance of berry pie and funnel cake! While I promote healthy eating, I also believe in balance and splurging once in a while.
After the reception we headed out to explore. At first I wasn’t sure what to expect at a Knott’s Scary Farm maze but I soon realized why there was so much hype around them and why mazes are another reason why you need to attend Knott’s Scary Farm!
3. Knott’s Scary Farm Mazes– I would describe each maze as a themed haunted house. Usually when you visit a haunted house, you wait in line, walk in the house, come out alive (hopefully) and then it’s over. Well Knott’s Scary Farm has 11 different mazes! Each one has it’s own theme. The theme decorations really add an extra element of fun. Each room is carefully thought out and designed according to the theme. My favorite mazes were Trick or Treat, The Tooth Fairy and Voodoo. The lines get quite long so I highly recommend getting the Fright Lane with Skeleton Key package.
4. Fright Lane with Skeleton Key- Purchasing this add on with your ticket will make your Knott’s Scary Farm experience more enjoyable. The Fright Lane pass allows you to skip the line and go straight to the front of each maze. The Skeleton Key gives you access to 5 bonus rooms that are found in some of the mazes. The bonus rooms may include someone telling you more of the story about that particular maze, a cool decoration or extra monster.
I have always enjoyed watching shows at theme parks because it gives me a chance to take a break from walking around but at the same time I’m still being entertained. Knott’s Scary Fam featured 2 shows, Elvira’s Asylum and The Hanging. I was able to catch Elvira’s show and highly recommend it as another reason you must attend Knott’ Scary Farm!
5. Watch the legendary Elvira– Mistress of the Dark – Elvira’s Asylum has everything from comic relief, acrobats, dancing, singing and much more! You will want arrive to the show early to grab a good seat!
My favorite part of attending a theme park is the rides! The first one we went on is my favorite of all time, Montezuma’s Revenge! I also rode Pony Express, Jaguar, Supreme Scream, Sierra Sidewinder and the scariest looking ride of all, Xcelerator! This was my first time attending a Halloween event with so many thrill rides, and it definitely adds another element to my list of why Knott’ Scary Farm is a must!
6. Thrill Rides- There are 13 thrill rides you can enjoy as part of your Knott’s Scarm Farm adventure. The lines for the rides weren’t more than 20-30 minutes, many of them did not even have a wait. I am not sure if this will be the case for the rest of the season, but since most people are checking out the mazes, this might be your chance to hop on a few more rides. Being on the rides at night definitely makes them scarier!
My last reason for attending Knott’s Scary Farm is one I didn’t actually get to experience. Even with having a reserved time, the line was so long that we decided to skip it. However, from the looks of how popular it was, I definitely want to mention it.
7. Special Ops: Infected- Patient Zero– This is an interactive laser tag experience where you will fight off zombies! I recommend reserving a time in advance to do this since it had the longest line of anything I saw at Knott’s Scary Farm.
The park stayed open until 1am. If you get in a ride line before 1am, they still allow you to ride it. We stayed the entire time and closed the place down! This was by far the best Halloween event I have ever attended. It was unique because of every reason I listed above and the fact that Knott’s Scary farm is able to combine so many elements into one amazing experience truly deserves them praise and a visit this Halloween season! I can’t wait to come back to Knott’s. Feel free to share with me your favorite attractions at Knott’s Scary Farm and have a wonderful Halloween! You can get tickets and more information HERE.
*Xcelerrator Roller Coaster Photo from: Bucket List Productions
I don’t always write about Apple, but when I do it’s an ode to honor Steve Jobs or it’s because one of my best friends gets famous for her iPhone.
You know the San Diego woman with the yorkie who got her iPhone early? Yep, that’s my friend Adrienne Alpern! Last time I posted about Adrienne on my site, we were contemplating eating weird fried food at the Del Mar Fair media party. What you don’t know is that Adrienne is also an amazing UX Designer. She’s my go to gal when I have questions about visuals, design and anything creative. She was the perfect person to get her iPhone 6S, nearly 5 days before anyone else in the world! I have officially labeled this incident as Adrienne winning the iPhone lottery! No one else in the world outside of Apple employees have this phone! I just recently switched over to iPhone after my Androids kept breaking. Adrienne is the one who constantly told me to get an iPhone. When I was setting up my iPhone, any questions I had were directed to Adrienne! She is a loyal Apple fan and even though Apple has yet to comment on this story, it does feel like they are rewarding her with new found fame!
Being the digitally smart, savvy woman she is, Adrienne took to Twitter and posted about her new phone.
What I like to point out is that I was one of the first to hear about this famous iPhone 6S! That’s right, I got these texts a good 15 minutes before the rest of the world even saw her Tweet.
And then, came the Geekbench benchmarks with data that has never before been revealed to the public.
And here’s a glimpse of the first video posted live with the iPhone 6S.
Adrienne has already been featured on ABC, NBC, CBS, Business Insider and dozens of other media outlets. And not just in the US, internationally too! As her friend, I like to claim knowing her before she was famous! In fact, I just got off the phone with Adrienne and loved hearing her give me a rundown on the life of being famous for a day! From her phone ringing off the hook, her inbox being filled with media inquiries and her Twitter blowing up, I’m living vicariously through her. My question to Adrienne was “What are you going to do with your new found fame?”. We may or may not have discussed some strategies on optimizing all of this press!
When the question comes up of how to get something to go viral, being FIRST plays a big factor. As Adrienne proved, being the first to get her iPhone 6S with never before released data has gotten her a lot of attention! Congrats Adrienne, on successfully using your savvy digital skills to introduce the iPhone 6S to the world! Here are a few memorable moments I have shared with Adrienne. The next time we take photos together through, it will be with her famous iPhone 6S!
Oh and here’s a photo Adrienne drew of me with her Brushes for iPad.
I’m excited to launch my Laser Marketing Hour! This is a revamped version of my previous program, Pick My Brain. With my new program, you get more one on one support from me and more resources to help you increase your revenue with your marketing efforts. Invest 1 hour with me and you’ll be marketing your way to success immediately. I am grateful for an opportunity to work with you and I promise I won’t let you down!
If you can relate to any of the following, then my Laser Marketing Hour is perfect for you.
- You are a busy professional who is limited on time so you only want to work on a few specific marketing objectives to reach your goals.
- You are a Small Business Owner or Entrepreneur and you’re just getting started so you have a limited budget.
- You want to get to know me better before making a long term commitment.
- You are overwhelmed with the abundance of marketing and social media opportunities so you want clarity on what will work before making a bigger investment.
Watch my video and keep reading to find out what to expect during our Laser Marketing Hour:
The agenda for our Laser Marketing Hour is completely dictated by you. Working with me will help you laser in on your biggest challenges and figure out how to really invest your time marketing wisely. You will receive specific action items that can be implemented immediately to help market your business.
Here’s how to prepare for our session to ensure you get the most out of your investment:
Before our session, you will fill out my Marketing Discovery Questions form. This requires you to take inventory of all your marketing efforts and clarify what you need to start marketing your way to success. This also allows me to customize our Laser Marketing Hour for your specific needs.
Here’s how to ensure our session is a success:
You will receive a follow up email from me within 24 hours of our session with action items to implement immediately. It’s extremely important that you make time in your schedule the same week we meet to execute what we discussed and I will make sure you have set time in your calendar to work on your marketing initiatives.
BONUS: You will also have access to me via email for 1 full week after our session to ask me additional questions and have me review your work.
FAST ACTION BONUS: Receive $50 off for being one of the first 3 people to sign up. Email me: email@example.com before Friday September 25th, 2015 and I will give you a special link to receive the discount.
FAST ACTION BONUS: I am constantly educating myself so I can provide you with the highest quality service. One successful Entrepreneur and expert Marketer I learn from is Lewis Howes. If you are one of the first 3 people to sign up by Friday September 25th, 2015, in addition to $50 off, you will receive a copy of his upcoming book, The School of Greatness.
To sign up for my Laser Marketing Hour, click the “Buy Now” button. If you have questions before getting started, email firstname.lastname@example.org. I only have a few slots open for this each week so claim your spot as soon as possible to ensure you get the session time you want.
INBOUND15 is coming up in Boston September 8th-11th and I have your golden ticket to attend. That’s right, I’m giving one lucky winner an All-Access Pass to INBOUND15 at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center.
INBOUND15 has really stepped it up with amazing speakers and activities. Keynote speakers include Chelsea Clinton, Seth Godin and even the hilarious Aziz Ansari just to name a few! In addition to the keynotes, here is everything the All-Access Pass includes:
- Access to all 6 Keynotes
- Daily Networking Happy Hour
- Admittance to INBOUND Rocks
- Access to Club INBOUND
- Discounted Rate at 17 Hotels*
- Access to 170+ Educational Sessions
- 30+ Awe-Inspiring Bold Talks
- Eligibility for Keynote Meet and Greet
- Access to INBOUND 2015 Archived Content
- Free Lunch from 20+ Food Trucks
- Unlimited Beverages**
INBOUND fuels the passion that drives the most innovative and successful business leaders of our time. INBOUND’s purpose is to provide the inspiration, education, and connections to transform your business.
INBOUND15 is an event designed to help marketing and sales professionals, business owners, and agency executives deepen their knowledge of inbound marketing through a combination of inspiring keynote presentations, focused training and breakout sessions, expert-led small group workshops, innovative product demos, and exciting networking activities along with an amazing INBOUND Rocks concert.
The All-Access ticket I’m giving away costs $1,499. It will be completely free for a lucky winner! Check out all the information on INBOUND15 HERE. Now for the scoop on HOW YOU CAN WIN this high value prize!
Leave a comment on this post with 1 thing you want to learn from INBOUND15. Include your FULL NAME and EMAIL ADDRESS.
Your must have a valid email address so I can contact you if you’re the winner. Thats’s it. Easy to enter and win! Want to increase your chance of winning? Each additional activity you complete will earn you bonus entries:
- 2 BONUS ENTRIES- Join my Facebook page and “Like” or “Share” this post about INBOUND15. If you do one (Like or share), you’ll get 1 bonus entry. If you do both (Like and share), you’ll get 2 bonus entries.
- 1 BONUS ENTRY- Follow me on Twitter and Tweet this post to share the contest with your following. Make sure to include me in the Tweet @MyMelodie.
- 3 BONUS ENTRIES- Most of you know that I’ve got a SXSW 2016 PanelPicker in the running. If you vote for my session AND leave a comment you’ll get 3 bonus entries. You must leave a comment so I can track your vote.
The winner will be chosen by random and notified no later than Tuesday September 1st, 2015.
*Please note: By entering the ticket giveaway, you are signing up for Marketing Melodie’s Marketing Your Way to Success Newsletter. Recipients can opt out any time. Transportation and housing for Inbound15 are not included.
Thanks again to the San Diego Hubspot User Group for inviting me to be their Keynote Speaker last month at the beautiful Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station. The event was a huge success, over 200 people signed up!
For those of you who missed the event or want to review the information, you’re in luck! My friends over at Animus Studios produced this awesome video for me of my keynote. Check it out here or on my YouTube Page.
I also offer a referral fee if you help me book a speaking gig. If my minimum speaker’s fee is met, you will get $500 just for making an introduction!
The much anticipated SXSW Interactive PanelPicker is live and I need your vote! I made a quick video about my proposed session, Marketing Your Way to Success with Social Media.
Read on if you’d like a little more info. Even if you don’t read the rest, I sincerely thank you for your vote HERE.
For the past 4 years, every March, I make my way to Austin for a magical event called SXSW. This year, even though I only had 48 hours to rock SXSW, I managed to meet my favorite late night host, Jimmy Kimmel; learn about sports marketing to millennials from the Indianapolis Colts Punter, Pat McAfee; connect with the brightest Entrepreneurs including Erik Qualman, Tim Ferriss and more. I also was fortunate enough to speak at the SXSW V2V conference last month in July.
During my recap of SXSW V2V I gave tips on becoming a SXSW Speaker. Their selection process is very comprehensive. Part of the process is the SXSW Panel Picker where the public votes for sessions they want to see. They combine this with votes from staff and their advisory board to ensure everyone gets a fair chance. Since the panel picker just launched, I need your vote!
My proposed session is: Marketing Your Way to Success with Social Media. I presented this at SXSW V2V to a packed room and received such great feedback that I want to customize my session and share it with an even larger audience in Austin.
I do my best to be a resource and to help when I can. Today, I am trusting that you will all help me out with your vote. It will take less than 5 minutes and allow me to share my passion and livelihood of teaching others how to effectively use social media to grow their business.
Here’s how to vote for my session:
1. CLICK HERE TO VOTE
2. After clicking the link, login or create an account. This takes a minute and can be done though Facebook.
3. Click the thumbs up button to vote.
4. Leave a comment and share why you are excited about my topic. It’s very important to leave even after you vote because it creates conversation. This also allows me to track who voted.
Once you vote for my session, you’ll be logged in and can vote for any other sessions you like. Other sessions I recommend are Jessica Tunon’s Netwalking session and Chic CEO Stephanie Burns’, Unreasonable Requests: How To Ask for Outrageous session. PanelPicker voting will close on Friday, September 4 (11:59 PM CT) so get your votes in before then!
Thank you all in advance for your vote. I am blessed to have so many positive people in my life and look forward to your support during the PanelPicker process. If you have a panel you would like me to check out, please leave me a comment. Let’s work together and support each other!