Marketing Melodie Speaks: Why Inbound Marketing & Social Media Are Best Friends on Thursday July 30th, 2015
Hubspot has invited me to keynote their next San Diego Hubspot User Group Event on Thursday July 30th, from 3-6pm and I want to invite you all to join me! Hubspot is a company I’ve long admired for their consistent and educational resources on all topics related to SEO, digital marketing, sales and social media for consumers. It’s an honor to align myself with such a power house in the industry! In fact check out their blogs and see what I mean when I rave about their content.
The event starts at 3pm with registration and networking over free Karl Strauss Beer and Woodstock’s Pizza, seriously who could turn down free pizza and beer? Then there’s a Hubspot Academy project reveiw. After, I will take the stage at 4:45pm with my presentation Why Inbound Marketing & Social Media Are Best Friends. I love when I’m featured at an event and have an opportunity to invite my entire whole network. Yes, you’re all invited to have a beer, enjoy some pizza and you’ll learn about marketing at the same time.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
With the constant changing landscape of social media, it can be overwhelming to know which networks to be on. Brands are faced with confusion on what content is effective to post and how to find time to incorporate social media into their marketing strategy. At “Why Inbound Marketing & Social Media Are Best Friends” you will learn about the important role social media plays in generating inbound leads and how to enhance your current profiles to get more leads. You’ll hear success stories and learn how to create resourceful content that encourages prospects to keep your brand top of mind. You will leave the event with the following information to implement immediately:
- Specific updates you need to make on popular social networks to generate more inbound leads.
- How to be a subject matter expert on social media in your specific industry so customers seek you out in time of need.
- How to be more efficient when creating and posting content on social media so you can focus on nurturing inbound leads.
I’ll close out the event with Q & A, plus a group discussion. As always I make presentations engaging, interactive and fun!
Here are the full details and how to sign up for this free event:
Date: Thursday July 30th, 2015
Location: Karl Strauss Brewing Company, 5985 Santa Fe Street San Diego, CA 92109
Time: 3pm- 6pm, My presentation starts at 4:45pm (Please still join, even if you can’t make it right at 3pm)
Cost: FREE for everyone. As I like to say, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!
Registration: Click HERE to sign up
I look forward to seeing you on Thursday July 30th. Let’s enjoy a beverage, have some tasty pizza and expand our marketing minds!
Marketing Melodie Speaks: SXSW V2V in Las Vegas- Marketing Your Way to Success Through Social Media Branding
There is something about the city of Las Vegas that keeps people coming back for more. Maybe it’s the exciting night life, the incredible live entertainment or the thrill of possibly coming home a big winner. For me, Vegas is a place where I’ve seen great artists perform including David Copperfield, Taylor Swift and Imagine Dragons. Vegas is also a place I associate time and time again with opportunities for career development, learning and business networking. Half the time I find myself in Sin City it’s for a work conference or event (in fact, almost 6 years ago I was inspired by my business trips to share a few tips, How to Avoid Conference Fatigue in Las Vegas) and in just a few weeks I’ll be back for this very reason.
I am overjoyed to announce that my favorite event in the world, SXSW Interactive is coming to Vegas for the third year in a row for the SXSW V2V conference taking place at the Bellagio July 19th- 22nd. I’ve been invited to host and speak on a Core Conversation Session, Marketing Your Way to Success Through Social Media Branding. This topic is one that I hold near and dear to my heart since my passion in life is educating business owners and entrepreneurs on how to create an effective marketing strategy to grow a successful business. I have a chance to do just that in an intimate setting at SXSW V2V. Rather than me talking the whole time and boring you with slides, I will lead a conversation that is engaging and interactive so we can learn from each other, share ideas, success stories and motivate each other to successfully market our businesses.
About my session: Marketing Your Way to Success Through Social Media Branding– With the constant changing landscape of social media, it can be overwhelming to know which networks are necessary to use. Brands are faced with confusion on how many sites to be on, what content is effective to post and how to find time to incorporate social media into their marketing strategy. Melodie Tao, Marketing Consultant and Founder of Marketing Melodie will lead a discussion that inspires startups, entrepreneurs and small business owners to start being more effective and efficient on social media by building authentic online communities. You’ll hear success stories, learn how to create resourceful content that encourages prospects to keep your brand top of mind and learn how to encourage customers to be your brand ambassadors on social media. My session is Monday July 20th, 3:15pm at Raphael Room 2 in the Bellagio. Add my session to your schedule HERE.
About SXSW V2V: SXSW V2V is the newest addition to the SXSW family of events. It is an extension and re-imagining of the legendary SXSW experience with an emphasis on the nuts and bolts education startups need to ensure entrepreneurial innovation and success. This four-day boutique event brings the startup and venture capital communities together with the creative industries that have helped to make SXSW so special. V2V serves innovators and entrepreneurs from across all the industries at the core of the SXSW Family of events—technology, music, film, fashion, health, education, sustainability, and more—as they learn the skills, make the connections, and find the inspiration to take their ideas and talents to the next level.
If you have followed my adventures to SXSW Interactive in the past, you may know that for the last 3 years I have been invited to teach SXSW Yoga. As a bonus, for all SXSW V2V attendees, I will also be bringing back my yoga sessions. On Monday July 20th and Tuesday July 21st, you can start off your morning at SXSW V2V’s Yoga for the Busy Body taught by yours truly.
About SXSW V2V Yoga for the Busy Body: You’ll learn relaxing breathing exercises, yoga poses to improve your balance, flexibility & strength and practice stretches you can easily replicate at home and even at work! This is an all levels class. Whether you have never tried yoga or are an advanced yogi, you’ll prepare your mind and body for enlightenment in this class. You will also learn tips on how to incorporate yoga into a busy lifestyle. This class was designed by Melodie Tao, a Marketing Professional, Entrepreneur and Yoga Instructor who was seeking a way to practice staying calm in any situation. No special equipment is needed, come as you are. My Yoga classes are Monday July 20th, and Tuesday July 21st, 9:15am at the Tower Ballroom 7 in the Bellagio. Add my Monday yoga session to your schedule HERE and my Tuesday yoga session to your schedule HERE.
If you plan to be at SXSW V2V in July, please leave me a comment and let me know what you look forward to the most. I would love to meet you around the conference or at one of my sessions. If you’re thinking about attending but are still on the fence, check out the Top 10 Reasons to Attend SXSW V2V and you’ll see what this event is going to be amazing. For anyone interested in having me speak at your upcoming event or conference, check out my speaking resources and connect with me.
June has been a very busy and exciting month for me. I just announced that I joined the cast of Asian Voices as a TV Host and Entertainment Reporter. I have also booked upcoming speaking engagements that I can’t wait to share with you very soon. Going back to the foundation of my marketing company, I want to continue educating business owners on how to successfully market their business. I recreated my program “Pick My Brain” for small business owners since I constantly get asked by people if they can pick my brain. My program is fun, effective and affordable for every small business owner. I will help you establish a solid foundation for your marketing strategy and teach you how to do this right now to immediately start seeing result.
Here’s the gist of the Pick My Brain Program: You have the opportunity to get all your questions answered related to your business, marketing, branding, website and social media during a 45 minute consulting call. You also have the opportunity to go through all of your online engagement tools from your website, blog, videos and social networking sites. I will provide you with insight on how to improve and enhance your current resources. This may include tips on how brand yourself more consistently online, how to create compelling digital messages and how to have your online tools successfully working for you.
You will receive a follow up email within 24 hours of our call with a list of resources related to topics discussed on our call and a list of things to execute immediately. This program is a one time fee of $99, but in June it’s only $79.(Note: You can book in June and set it up for later to still receive my special rate.)
**To sign up for the Pick My Brain program for only $79 in June send me an email: email@example.com and I’ll reply back with all the details. Spots are filling up fast so sign up today!**
*If you want to get a head start and book your session even sooner, fill out Marketing Melodie’s Discovery Questions HERE.
I made a quick video explaining the program. (Note this video was taken selfie mode before I got a tripod. It’s a little shaky and I’m not directly looking at the right place since it was hard to figure out when filming on selfie mode, but I wanted to post the video anyway to show that sometimes it’s OK to post things that are real and authentic to humanize your brand). Work with me and we’ll be marketing your way to success in no time!
Last Thursday I attended the first San Diego Facebook Boost Your Business conference held on the gorgeous Broadway Pier at the Port Pavilion. I am very familiar with a lot of business tools Facebook has to offer being that I use them for both myself and for clients but I knew this would be a rare opportunity to learn about the latest technology Facebook has to offer as well as meet people from Facebook HQ in real life, yes they exist! I appreciated their cost effective $25 entry fee because it’s something all business owners can afford to invest in. The $25 entry fee also included a $50 credit to advertise on Facebook. (Although I went to use my credit a few days ago and even though the credit says it expires in April 2016, I entered my code and got an error message that the code was already expired! I’m not sure if anyone else had this issue. I am bummed, so will look into seeing who I can contact about this error).
SIDE NOTE- Wearing Facebook Blue at a Facebook event will give everyone the impression that you work at Facebook. I guess it was not a bad marketing strategy to match the conference since this tripled the amount of people who came up to talk to me during the event.
The event started off with an introduction by Mari Smith. Mari is a Facebook rockstar! I am lucky to have connected with Mari many times during the course of my career. She is always positive and has great advice. She shared her own stories on the power of Facebook for her brand and business.
The event kicked off with Jonathan Czaja, Director of Small Business for Facebook. He started his session with eye opening facts:
- 40 million small businesses are active on Facebook
- 2 million small businesses actively use Facebook advertising
These numbers are astounding! If there’s a place you want to reach people where they are already captive and active, that place is Facebook! I snagged a photo with Dan after his talk to prove there is a human behind the Facebook name.
Next, 4 local businesses who successfully use Facebook for their business took the stage, Jelly Skateboards, Tri Swim Coach, Suja Juice and Chef’s Roll. They shared success stories and insight on properly using Facebook and other tools, plus they gave us authentic feedback from one local business owner to another.
This brings me to now share the things I learned that I feel will also be helpful for your business. I add a lot of my own insight in this summary to elaborate.
1. Creating Targeted Facebook Ads– Facebook advertising is very powerful because of the targeting options it gives to marketers and it was the dominate topic of conversation at the conference. It’s the one place on the web where users voluntarily give an abundance of data about themselves. I bet even your spouse can’t compete with the amount of information Facebook knows about you! There are so many options for advertisers when deciding who to target that most people just pick and choose a few options to quickly get their ads set up. However, to be more effective with Facebook advertising, it’s important to take advantage of their targeting options. Perhaps you’re growing an alumni network for your area. You can target women of a certain age who went to a specific school, who are now living in a specific area. You can also target people who work at a specific company. Here’s an idea: If you’re looking to get hired by a certain company, whether it’s as a partner, consultant or employee, why not create an ad and have it targeted to people from that company? I also love the idea of targeting friends of people who like your page because this provides social proof. There are a lot of other creative ways to create targeted Facebook ads that I could go on for days. Next time you set up a Facebook ad, be specific on who your audience is to really optimize your investment dollars. If you need help with this, reach out to me and I’m happy to walk you through it.
2. Facebook MailChimp Integration for Remarketing- MailChimp was onsite helping small business owners understand the power of their email marketing tools. I use MailChimp and I use Facebook, but I didn’t know about the easy integration of both. (This is why I love being open to learning, no matter how much time I’ve spent on a certain platform the beauty of it is that I can always learn something new). When choosing who you want to target on Facebook under “target ads to” you can create a custom audience by uploading your MailChimp list (or any email list) to remarket to your prospects. Remarketing is very powerful. This means that after you send someone an email, the same person will then see your Facebook ad, so you’re connecting with them in more than one place on the web. We were assured that privacy is not an issue with uploading your email list because the list will never be shared and once your list does get uploaded, it’s encrypted so additional data from the emails can never be accessed or leaked. By having the ability to remarket through Facebook, your email list is gold and becomes even more valuable.
3. Make Your Photos “Pop” with Apps- During the panel discussion it was recommended by Suja to have great photos and images as part of your content strategy. The term they used was make your photos “pop”. As a small business owner, it’s not always in the budget to hire a professional photographer, so I learned about 2 photo editing apps Snappseed and Afterlight. I have since downloaded Snapseed and am trying it out. So far I find the app to be very intuitive and easy to use. I personally take photos of many different things, including random objects and scenarios, I recommend that you do the same. I do this because you never know when you’ll a need a photo for content you’re creating such as in a blog post. There have been times where I have needed a random photo and rather than trying to find a free a photo where you aren’t breaking any copyright laws, it’s much easier to just pull a photo for your own personal library. Now that I have a photo editing app on my phone, I can make these amateur photos look more professional.
4. External vs Internal Hashtags- A few years ago when I used term “hashtag” everyone just gave me a puzzled look along with a reply along the lines of “Hashbrown? Hash what”? Alright who am I kidding, to this day when I say “hashtag” I still get blank stares . Well now there’s even more lingo to learn. There are external hashtags and internal hashtags. Jelly Skateboards gave great information on how they use both. Since Instagram, was highly visible at the conference (Yep Facebook owns Instagram) and hashtags are widely used on this site, they went with Instagram when explaining the difference between an external vs internal hashtag.
- External hashtags are used by potential customers. Jelly Skateboards actively searches hashtags connected to photos that are posted by people interested in skateboarding. For example, to target females they will search the hashtag #skatergirl. They will then start liking photos with that hashtag and following people they find through that hashtag who are potential customers. After they engage with the new people they are following a while, they usually get noticed so they have that personal relationship already built when someone wants to buy a new skateboard. This increases the chance Jelly Skateboards will be top of mind for a purchasing decision.
- Internal hashtags are usually created by businesses. They are more specific hastags used to track things related to their company such. Jelly Skateboards can use the hashtag #JellySkateboards to showcase photos of all their skateboards or #JellySkaterGirl to showcase female skaters they may be sponsoring. Having hashtags related to your own events is also a great idea. If Jelly hosts a skateboarding competition this year they can create a specific hashtag so everyone can follow the photos posted for that event such as #JellySkate15. Internal hashtags are a great way to start building photo libraries of things your own business is posting.
After the presentations Mari Smith hosted dozens of one-on-one sessions allowing each attendee who was lucky enough to snag a 3-5 minutes spot with her to get specific questions answered. My questions to her were about professional speaking since I’m working hard to grow my business as a professional speaker. I’m really glad I scheduled a few hours out of my day to attend the Facebook Boost Your Business conference. If you have any success stories from using Facebook to grow your own business, please share them!
Happy 2015 everyone! I can’t believe how time flies and that we’re already in mid January. For my first post in 2015 I am happy to announce an upcoming workshop I’m hosting. I love kicking off the new year with an opportunity to do what I love. I am partnering with the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NATAS) to present Social Media Branding for Media Pros. I have presented to NATAS in the past and had a great time connecting with industry leaders in the media, so I’m grateful they invited me back!
Working in the media or a media related industry is a fun and exciting career. Media pros have the keys to the city, they are at the forefront of news, information, events and they are often well regarded public figures. No matter what role you hold at a media organization, whether it’s behind the scenes such as IT, admin, producer or a more public role such as talent or sales, it’s important to understand that your actions online represent your company. I often see media professionals write on their public social profiles “Views expressed are my own and do not represent my company”. While the idea of this sounds good, what you say online DOES represent your company no matter what is stated in your profile. The intention of my 90-minute workshop is to teach professionals in the television and media industries how to successfully integrate social media into their personal and professional brands. We will focus on strategies to strengthen your brand across various social networks. You will leave this particular workshop with the following key takeaways that you can implement immediately:
- How to leverage your social media brand to generate more revenue.
- How to ensure your personal online brand is simultaneously optimized to enhance your station’s or company’s brand.
- Knowledge on how to serve as a trusted subject matter expert as a television media professional to have prospects interested in working with you before even meeting you
This is an interactive workshop. We will be participating in group activities and creating online updates. It is recommended that you bring a laptop or tablet. Pen and paper will be provided in case you are unable to bring either. This workshop will also be webcast. More information can be found HERE and full details below:
Date: Thursday January 22nd, 2015
Time: 6pm- 8pm
Location: Groovy Like A Movie located at 5205 Kearny Villa Way Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92123
Cost: FREE for NATAS Members or $15 for non members
Registration: Click here to register
I am still looking for great examples of media professional who use social media well to include in my presentation. If you know of anyone, please let me know. Keep in mind, a media professional is not limited to someone who is TV or the radio. Thinks of people behind the scenes too, PR professionals, media sales executives, producers, etc. I’ve been working hard on my presentation and I’m really looking forward to connecting with you all next Thursday.
I’m honored to be hosting a LinkedIn workshop for the professional group Women in Business San Diego. It was very fitting that Women in Business San Diego found me and reached out to me through LinkedIn. I’ll teach you how your future customers can find you on LinkedIn too! This workshop open to both Women in Business San Diego members and also guests. The event will be located at the gorgeous spa like workspace for women, Hera Hub in Sorrento Mesa It will be very hands on. As a business professional, I understand how busy you are. If I just give you a list of things to update later, it may or may not get done. This is why I’ll work with you to ensure you leave with results that will start benefiting you immediately.
Here are the details on how you can join my LinkedIn Workshop:
Date: Monday September 15th, 2014
Time: 6pm- 7:30pm (Check in and networking will begin at 6pm, workshop begins promptly at 6:30pm)
Location: Hera Hub Sorrento Mesa 9710 Scranton Road #160 San Diego, CA 92121
Registration: Click here to register
Make sure to bring your laptop or tablet so you can access your LinkedIn page because my intention is for you to walk away with an updated profile that will help you optimize your professional brand and reach new customers. As a bonus for attending, you’ll be entered to win a complimentary 1 hour marketing consulting session with me. This will be your chance to get all of your marketing questions answered so I’m really looking forward to offering this.
In preparation for my LinkedIn Workshop, I also am asking for your help. If you’re a savvy LinkedIn user, please share with me how this site has helped you professionally. Also I am looking for some great profiles to showcase as examples. Let me know if I can use yours in the comments below and thanks in advance for your help.