Thank you so much to Fox 5 San Diego for inviting me to their studio to share Social Media tips. While I normally teach business owners, service providers and entrepreneurs how to use social media, I had the unique opportunity to share social media safety tips with viewers. Watch the full segment below and keep reading for more details on each tip, plus a fun behind the scenes video of my segment.
If you’d like more social media tips focused on business, please join my upcoming free webinar, 4 Secrets to Boost Sales on Facebook by signing up HERE. The webinar is on Friday April 29th at 12pm PST. Even if you can’t make it, you will get the free reply just for signing up.
Many people use social media as a tool to stay in touch with friends, family members and their kids. While social media is an amazing resource that keeps us connected, sometimes we overshare and inadvertently post information that makes us a target for crime. Understanding safety tips when it comes to social media will allow you to take advantage of technology while keeping you and your family safe. Here are 5 tips to stay safe online.
1. Do not post photos of your house number/address- Many people take photos in front of their house. This often happens when someone buys a new home or moves. These photos also often show the house number, which makes it very easy to figure out your address, especially when it’s also easy to find out what area of town you live in. When posting photos in front of your home, make sure the house number isn’t visible. Here’s a great photo with a couple in front of their new home without showcasing their address.
2. Do not post photos of street signs in your neighborhood- This is another way to make yourself an easy target by allowing it to be very easy to figure out where you live. I often see people walking their dogs around their neighborhood and posting a photo of their dog outside their home with a visible street sign. When posting photos of your pets outside your home, make sure street signs aren’t visible. Both of these pet photos show the animal outside with no visible street signs or identifying information.
3. Do not post photos of your event and concert tickets that show a bar code- We all get excited to attend a great concert or special event. Often times that excitement leads to us snapping a photo of tickets, and posting the tickets on social media. Be careful to cover up the bar code in you photo. Someone can easily make you a victim of ticket fraud by copying your ticket, making a fake new one and either selling it, or using it before you get a chance to. If you do plan to post photos of your tickets, make sure the bar code is cropped out like the example below.
4. Do not post photos of your airline boarding pass- Your boarding pass is linked to very personal information including your social security number, date of birth, address, and even credit card information. Many people post photos of their boarding pass at the airport because they are excited to go on vacation. It’s awesome to have exciting plans to look forward to, but instead of posting a photo of your boarding pass, post photos of the airplane or another type of scenic photo.
5. Do not post nude photos of your kids- Everyone loves their kids and kids are also very cute, so naturally we want to post photos of them. I see many parents posting nude photos of their kids. Not only is posting nude photos against almost every social media site’s policy, it also can put your kid at risk for attracting predators. Instead of posting nude photos of your kids, post photos of them in cute clothes. Kids look cute in virtually anything, so you should have no problems here.
Let’s keep social media a safe and fun place that allows us to connect with friends and family. Avoid these 5 types of posts and use the examples I give instead. If you would like more social media tips, as a reminder, I’m offering a free social media webinar about Facebook. Everyone is welcome to sign up for my free live webinar, HERE. Everyone who signs up also gets the free reply. Thanks for watching my segment and reading about my social media safety tips. If you have any more social media safety tips, please share them with me in the comments! You can also join me on Facebook where I post a new social media video every week.
UPDATE: I was able to get behind the scenes footage of my news segment. Here is a video of the live segment as it was being aired!
Thrilled to be back here blogging again! I’ve been all over the web connecting with you through my Facebook videos, my free webinars and my Marketing Your Way to Success Newsletters, but I’ve been missing my blog!
Now that my blog is back, I want to share an exciting upcoming event! I’ll be at SXSW Interactive in Austin for my 5th year. This year I’m involved in 3 official SXSW events that I would love to see you at. Here are the full details.
- Netwalking Meetup- Saturday March 12th, 9:30am @ JW Marriott Room 207: I’ll be here in full support of my awesome client, Netwalking! You will learn how to host walking meetings, create lasting impressions while networking and we’ll do a little Netwalking session too! Save this event on your SXSW calendar, HERE.
- Social Media Mentor Session- Sunday March 13th, 12:30pm @ JW Marriott Room 504: I couldn’t be more excited to be chosen as a Social Media Mentor at SXSW. This is truly an honor and something I am very proud to be a part of. Mentor Sessions enable professionals to gain seven minutes of direct one-on-one career-related counsel from an established and experienced new media professional. Come with your questions in hand and get ready to accelerate your career with marketing and social media insight. Save my mentor session on your SXSW calendar, HERE.
- Come As You Are Yoga- Monday March 14th, 9:30am @ JW Marriott Room 209: I am hosting the official SXSW Yoga Meet Up, and I’m calling it, Come As You Are Yoga! You’ll learn relaxing breathing exercises, yoga poses to improve your balance, flexibility & strength and practice stretches you can easily replicate at home and even at work! This is an all levels class. Whether you have never tried yoga or are an advanced yogi, you’ll prepare your mind and body for enlightenment in this class. You will also learn tips on how to incorporate yoga into a busy lifestyle. No special equipment or clothing is needed, come as you are! Lululemon will be providing their amazing yoga mats for us to use! Save my yoga class on your SXSW calendar, HERE.
If you plan to be in Austin during SXSW, let me know in the comments. I would love to hear about your plans and any sessions you recommend.
My next speaking engagement is coming up in a couple of weeks with Startup Socials San Diego and I’m stoked because all of the content is dedicated to giving you the framework for growing your business in 2016. My presentation is titled:
5 Ways to Drive Conversions with Social Media- Learn 5 of the lesser known, but well proven, tactics that can boost your social media conversion rate. Get ready for takeaways that you can execute on immediately.
There’s also a special treat for the audience. Everyone will have a chance to pitch their business and get feedback from 3 digital marketing experts, including myself. You will walk away from this event with an improved structure for your online marketing strategy, and you will receive action items to work on over the next couple of months in order to prepare for a successful 2016. Does all this sound good to you? If so, read on, and find out how to register and win tickets!
It’s been over 10 years since I have stepped foot in Knott’s Berry Farm, 10 years too long! I have fond memories of coming here as a kid. I would stay up all night with knots (or should I say Knott’s) in my stomach from the anticipation of riding Montezuma’s Revenge and going upside down on Boomerang. I remember mining for gold, trying boysenberries for the first time and meeting Snoopy. Everything I just wrote reminds me of how much I love Knott’s Berry Farm so you can imagine my excitement when I received an invitation to attend their media night last Thursday for Knott’s Scary Farm. It’s described as the largest and most terrifying Halloween event in Southern California with 11 mazes, 1000 monsters, 2 shows and 13 thrill rides. I invited my friend Jen from San Diego to come with me. We drove to Orange County (Buena Park) and arrived to the media check in at 6:30pm and received a press kit with goodies that included a schedule of activities, tarot cards and a special skeleton key that granted us access to special rooms in many of the mazes. Keep reading to find out about my frightening experience at Knott’s along with 7 reasons why Knott’s Scary Farm is the Halloween attraction you don’t want to miss.
I don’t always write about Apple, but when I do it’s an ode to honor Steve Jobs or it’s because one of my best friends gets famous for her iPhone.
You know the San Diego woman with the yorkie who got her iPhone early? Yep, that’s my friend Adrienne Alpern! Last time I posted about Adrienne on my site, we were contemplating eating weird fried food at the Del Mar Fair media party. What you don’t know is that Adrienne is also an amazing UX Designer. She’s my go to gal when I have questions about visuals, design and anything creative. She was the perfect person to get her iPhone 6S, nearly 5 days before anyone else in the world! I have officially labeled this incident as Adrienne winning the iPhone lottery! No one else in the world outside of Apple employees have this phone! I just recently switched over to iPhone after my Androids kept breaking. Adrienne is the one who constantly told me to get an iPhone. When I was setting up my iPhone, any questions I had were directed to Adrienne! She is a loyal Apple fan and even though Apple has yet to comment on this story, it does feel like they are rewarding her with new found fame!
Being the digitally smart, savvy woman she is, Adrienne took to Twitter and posted about her new phone.
I’m excited to launch my Laser Marketing Hour! This is a revamped version of my previous program, Pick My Brain. With my new program, you get more one on one support from me and more resources to help you increase your revenue with your marketing efforts. Invest 1 hour with me and you’ll be marketing your way to success immediately. I am grateful for an opportunity to work with you and I promise I won’t let you down!
If you can relate to any of the following, then my Laser Marketing Hour is perfect for you.
- You are a busy professional who is limited on time so you only want to work on a few specific marketing objectives to reach your goals.
- You are a Small Business Owner or Entrepreneur and you’re just getting started so you have a limited budget.
- You want to get to know me better before making a long term commitment.
- You are overwhelmed with the abundance of marketing and social media opportunities so you want clarity on what will work before making a bigger investment.
Watch my video and keep reading to find out what to expect during our Laser Marketing Hour:
The agenda for our Laser Marketing Hour is completely dictated by you. Working with me will help you laser in on your biggest challenges and figure out how to really invest your time marketing wisely. You will receive specific action items that can be implemented immediately to help market your business.
Here’s how to prepare for our session to ensure you get the most out of your investment:
Before our session, you will fill out my Marketing Discovery Questions form. This requires you to take inventory of all your marketing efforts and clarify what you need to start marketing your way to success. This also allows me to customize our Laser Marketing Hour for your specific needs.
Here’s how to ensure our session is a success:
You will receive a follow up email from me within 24 hours of our session with action items to implement immediately. It’s extremely important that you make time in your schedule the same week we meet to execute what we discussed and I will make sure you have set time in your calendar to work on your marketing initiatives.
BONUS: You will also have access to me via email for 1 full week after our session to ask me additional questions and have me review your work.
FAST ACTION BONUS: Receive $50 off for being one of the first 3 people to sign up. Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org before Friday September 25th, 2015 and I will give you a special link to receive the discount.
FAST ACTION BONUS: I am constantly educating myself so I can provide you with the highest quality service. One successful Entrepreneur and expert Marketer I learn from is Lewis Howes. If you are one of the first 3 people to sign up by Friday September 25th, 2015, in addition to $50 off, you will receive a copy of his upcoming book, The School of Greatness.
To sign up for my Laser Marketing Hour, click the “Buy Now” button. If you have questions before getting started, email email@example.com. I only have a few slots open for this each week so claim your spot as soon as possible to ensure you get the session time you want.