Marketing Succcess LIVE! Episode 4- Recap
In today’s episode of Marketing Success LIVE! I answered your questions! Here’s a recap where I give you a quick rundown of the tips, tricks, resources, events and other cool things mentioned. If you missed today’s episode, watch it any time over on the Marketing Melodie Facebook Page.
Main takeaways from today’s Marketing Success LIVE! Q&A
Question 1: What is a good place to get started in a marketing career? This answer will give you tips on how to get started in any career, not just marketing!
- Reach out to people you look up to in the industry you want to work in and ask for an Informational Interview- Make sure you acknowledge and participate in the cool things that they’re already doing on social media. After you’ve built a relationship, then reach out and ask for an Information Interview. In this meeting, your intention is to learn about the other person’s success, career path and how you can get started doing what they do.
- Volunteer at industry events- Strategically put yourself in places where people are doing the things you want to do. For example, if you want to get into marketing, volunteer at networking events and conferences related to marketing. This gives you access to industry leaders.
- Get an internship- Internships are one of the best ways to get your foot in the door for a company or industry you want to work for. Internships gives you real life experience in your industry.
Question 2: There are too many platforms, so how do I make the best and smartest use of my time? I get this question a lot and this question usually comes from a plan of overwhelm.
- Figure out the best place to find your target audience- This requires you to do research on who your target audience is first. Then figure out where your target audience is hanging out online.
- Figure out a strategy for 1-2 chosen networks- Instead of overwhelming yourself even more, start with 1-2 networks and focus your time there. Establish a strong audience on 1-2 networks first rather than jumping on 10 different networks and having a mediocre audience and presense on each one. Once you’re established on 1-2 networks, than you can branch out on to others.
Questions 3: With so many social media platforms, I often wonder what is the culture and voice of each platform?
Start by doing research on who your target audience is and where they are hanging out online. Each platform has a different voice and vibe. For example, if you have a product that’s targeting high schoolers and junior high, you might have to focus on SnapChat vs. your Facebook business page because high schoolers may not be spending too much time on Facebook business pages. If you have a product that’s for entrepreneurs and business owners, LinkedIn is a good place to start.
Question 4: What is the best way to find time to post when you’re busy working during times when people seem to post?
- You can always hire someone to help with your social media posts. However, this isn’t always an option if you’re a small business or just getting started.
- Plan ahead and create a marketing plan that outlines the content you plan to post.
- After you have created a marketing plan, you can schedule posts in advance on sites such as Hootsuite, Buffer and even directly on Facebook business pages.
Question 5: What is the best way to display a LinkedIn profile? And how do you present yourself to businesses on LinkedIn
- Put key words in your header that describe exctly what you do.
- Add key words to your summary. The summary section is the first section people read after your header. I recommended adding media to make your profile look like a digital portfolio. Make your LinkedIn profile eye catching by adding photos, videos, links, and presentations.
- Cross-promote your LinkedIn profile in your email signature and other sites such as your Facebook business page and Instagram.
Mentioned in today’s Marketing Success LIVE! Episode:
- Marketing Success Team- I recently launched the program geared toward Entpreneurs and Business Owners. For $29/month you get to join my team to stay motivated and inspired with marketing your business. You’ll have someone to keep you accountable for being consistent with your marketing efforts. The days of starting a blog, campaign or new profile, only to abandon it a couple weeks later are no more! Click here for more info.
- Marketing Success Power Breakfast- Sometimes, it’s hard to set aside time for networking events because you don’t want to take time away from getting actual work done. This is why I created the Marketing Success Power Breakfast! It’s a networking event where you’ll have a chance to connect with up to 9 other business professionals, learn about a social media topic, and best of all get work done! The first event is Friday, October 21st from 8am-10am. I’ll be there at 7:30am for you early birds! Claim your spot here.
- Shout out to Marketing Success Team member, Helen Chang of Author Bridge Media. I’m so excited to attend her upcoming book writing retreat, Idea to Publish Book Bootcamp, November 3rd-5th in San Diego. Helen has generously offered my network a significant discount for this 3 day event.Attend for only $79 (Regular tickets are $997)! Sign up HERE with code: ABMfriend79 for $79 tickets and I’ll see you there!
- Marketing Success Happy Hour- I’m hosting an intimate happy hour packed with marketing inspiration for your business! Enjoy the best view of San Diego while we discuss important social media topics. We’ll participate in a fun, interactive marketing activity for your business. Then we will have time for networking so you can connect with the other business leaders in the room. The Marketing Success Happy Hour is once a month, the next one is Thursday October 27th from 4:30pm – 6:30pm. We only have 5 spots left, make sure to purchase your ticket before they sell out!
- Shout out to Fox 5 San Diego! I was excited to see them on the live session today. I am their Social Media Correspondent so they call me to discuss social media topics when they come up. Watch my latest Fox 5 San Diego segment about Kim Kardashian’s robbery which sparked a conversation about Social Media security and risk.
- Next Week’s Special Guest: Angela Chee – She’s a Media Consultant, Speaker, and On-camera coach who’s been featured on the Today Show, HGTV, NBC San Diego and more. Whenever I do a TV segment, I get many messages asking “how do I get on TV for my business?” Angela is the TV expert and she’ll be live with me next Wednesday to share how you can get your company or product on live TV. To get a sneak peek of her tips, download her FREE 7 Point Media Pitch Checklist.
Tools mentioned/ used in today’s Marketing Success LIVE! episode:
1. Audio-Technica ATR3350 Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone- This mic allows you to have quality sound in your videos no matter how far way the phone is from your face.
2. Arkon iPhone Tripod Mount- This is how I keep my phone from wobbling around when I’m filming! This tripod is very portable and has durable legs that claspses on to other equipment.
3. Neewer Camera Photo/Video Light Ring- I use this light ring so you can see me more clearly, no matter what the lighting in the room looks like.
4. CowboyStudio Aluminum Adjustable Light Stand with Case– The light ring I use, goes on this stand!
That’s a wrap for the recap of Marketing Success LIVE! Episode 4. Make sure to tune in on Facebook Live again next Wednesday from 11am-11:30am over on the Marketing Melodie Facebook page with special guest Angela Chee! We’ll talk about how to get your company featured on TV and other media outlets.