Happy Foursquare Day everyone! Foursquare day is my favorite Nerd Holiday (other Nerd Holidays include: PI Day 3/14, Star Wars Day 5/4- May the Forth Be With You!) because it really showcases the benefits of social media. This day brings people together all over the world to celebrate and check in at local businesses while networking and meeting new friends. This year I once again have the honor of hosting Foursquare Day San Diego. I look forward to seeing everyone tonight at Osetra in the Gaslamp from 6-8pm!
In addition to hosting Foursquare Day San Diego, I also compiled a list of San Diego Foursquare Specials for you all to enjoy. I created a list of Foursquare specials last year too but they’re constantly changing so this is the most current. Please keep in mind that these specials are subject to change. If you know of a great special that’s not on this list, please feel free to tweet me, or leave me a comment here!
Apertivo | Italian Tapas & Wine Bar – Newbie Special: Your first time check in gets you a FREE tapas with the purchase of one of equal or lesser value. Unlocked on your 1st check-in. Not valid with any other promotions, coupons, or discounts and Loyalty Special: Check in to Apertivo’s 8 times, spend $10 or more each visit, and receive a FREE bottle of our House White, or Red wine! Unlocked every 8 check-ins. Not valid with any other offers, coupons, or discounts.
Bub’s at the Ballpark and Bub’s Dive Bar & Grill – CHECK-IN and get FREE TOTS with any purchase! Good for 1 Per Table/Per Day! Show your server your Check-In! ***Offer Not Valid during WING WEDNESDAY (Unlocked every check-in)
Chili’s Grill & Bar (all over San Diego) – Friends Special: Free Happy Hour Appetizer in the Bar! Unlocked for 3 friends checking in together (Max value $5. Offer only available during Happy Hour. and Check-in Special: Start your meal right; Check-in @ Chili’s & receive a free order of Chips & Salsa! Unlocked every check-in.
Copy-It - Newbie Special: Free Sharpie Marker with any purchase over $5.00 (excludes postal purchases). One per customer. Unlocked on your 1st check-in.
Dragon’s Den – Newbie Special: Get the 1st Drink (beer, wine by the glass or cocktail) at Half of Regular Price. Unlocked on your 1st check-in. Also an American Express Shop Small Check-in special.
Hexagone- Mayor Special- The Mayor receives 40% off their total bill and Check-in Special- Show your waiter that you’ve checked in on foursquare and receive a free appetizer.
iTAN (all over San Diego) – Check-in Special: New customers receive $100 in free tanning! (Unlocked every check-in) and Mayor Special: Receive 25% off iTAN services. Show your mayor badge to the cashier & this code: PSP25%FS. One time use only. (Unlocked every check-in)
Java Mama – Check-in Special: Show that you checked-in and receive 10% off food and beverages. Enjoy a delicious latte, mocha, panini, and lots more. (Unlocked every check-in) and Mayor Special: 20% off food and beverages to the mayor. (Unlocked for the mayor.)
Marcella Junes Coffee Lounge – Mayor Special: 20% off every purchase. (Unlocked for the mayor), Newbie Special: Buy one 16 oz. hand crafted beverage at regular price and receive one hand-crafted beverage of equal or lesser value free. (Unlocked on your 1st check-in; One redeem/visit/customer.) and Loyalty Special: Every 9th check-in receive a free 16 oz. hand crafted beverage of your choice! (Unlocked on your 9th check-in; One check-in per day.)
Noodles & Company (Rosecrans) – Show that you’ve checked In to this location and receive a FREE Rice Krispy Treat! Unlocked every check-in.
Payless ShoeSource (All over San Diego) – Check-in Special: Take $5 off of any $25 purchase. Valid thru 4/30/2012 & excludes Shopko stores. (Unlocked every check-in) and Newbie Special: Take 10% off your entire purchase. Offer valid thru 4/30/2012. Excludes Shopko stores. (Unlocked on your 1st check-in)
Pastalini Pasta Bar- Check-in Special- Free soda with your meal and Mayor Special- Free box of bread with any meal order.
Quality Social – Friends Special: Check in with 3 friends and dessert is on them! (Unlocked for 4 friends checking in together.)
Rubio’s (all over San Diego) – Mayor Special: Get a Grilled Gourmet Garlic Herb Shrimp Taco for free with any purchase. (Limit 1 per day.) and Friends Speial: Free Regular Soda or Iced Tea when you check in with 2 friends. (Unlocked for 2 friends checking in together.)
Souplantation- Show your phone to the cashier for 15% off lunch or dinner. Not valid w/ other offers. Web code: W00170
Super Brows – Check-in Special: Free Lip Threading Service when you buy Eyebrow Threading Service. (Unlocked every check-in; Only One Per Customer.)
Tops Of The Park – Newbie Special: Show this to your server to receive 20% off of your bill. (excluding alcohol & Unlocked on your 1st check-in)
T-Mobile Newbie Special: As a thank you for checking-in at a T-Mobile store for the first time, we want to treat you to 30% off any one of our awesome accessories! Unlocked on your 1st check-in
Terra American Bistro – Check-in Special: Show that you’ve checked in on FourSquare and receive a free appetizer. (Unlocked every check-in) and Special Mayor Offer: Receive 25% off you total bill. (Unlocked every check-in)
The Blue Pearl Casual Eatery – Check-in Special: Get 10% off your total bill for Lunch! (Unlocked every check-in)
The Comedy Store – Newbie Special: Receive FREE ADMISSION at the La Jolla Comedy Store any Wednesdays, Thursdays, or Sunday! (Excludes Special Events) 21 & up only. (Unlocked on your 1st check-in)
The Field Irish Pub & Restaurant – Newbie Special: Get one free dessert on your first check-in. (Unlocked on your 1st check-in; Must purchase one entrée.)
The Tipsy Crow – Check-in Special: Check in and receive complimentary vodka infused mango or pineapple with purchase of any beverage. (Unlocked every check-in), Loyalty Special: 50% off your tab for every fourth check-in! (Unlocked on your 4th check-in) and Mayor Special: Mayor gets their tab 50% off anytime.
Village 631 – Check-in Special: Get 10% off your Tab with check-in. (Unlocked every check-in)
Wave House Bar & Grill – Check-in Special: 10% off your bill. (Unlocked every check-in.) and Mayor Special: If you’re the mayor, you get $3 wells! (Unlocked every check-in.)
Wings Beachwear – Check-in Special: FREE Sand Dollar when you Check-In. (Unlocked every check-in; Tell cashier to use SKU 7619846 to Redeem.)
American Express has also teamed up with Foursquare to offer you some great specials! Here’ are details on how to Sync, Explore and Save with American Express.
These are just a few of the Foursquare specials offered in San Diego! This list is always growing so please let me know if you see any others. Happy Foursquare Day 2012 and enjoy the benefits of your check ins even more now that you know about these awesome specials.
I’m so excited to host Foursquare Day for the third year in a row with @DowntownRob. It’s coming up in less than a week on 4/16 (4th month; 4 squared=16). During the inaugural Foursquare Day in 2010 I was traveling in Hong Kong so connected with their awesome Social Media community and hosted Foursquare Day Hong Kong. Last year, I hosted Foursquare Day San Diego at R Gang Eatery and this year we’re celebrating at Osetra in the Gaslamp from 6-8pm. You can RSVP for the event here!
Everyone is invited to this free event to celebrate a Holiday created by Social Media. Meet new friends and check in with your online connections in real life! We’ll have Foursquare Day drinks specials and complimentary appetizers including tempura tuna rolls and bruschetta compliments of Osetra.
If anyone would like to help with the event, please let us know. We’re accepting raffle donations (anyone who checks in at the event is entered in the raffle) and we would love your help in spreading the word about the event on your social networks! I’m also compiling a list of San Diego venues that offer Foursquare specials. To celebrate Foursquare Day last year, I compiled a list but it needs to be updated. If you know of any venues that offer Foursquare specials, please tweet me or leave me a comment here.
When tweeting about the event and checking in on Foursquare use the hashtag #4sqdaySD. You can also add the general hashtag #4sqday -view the Minglestream tweetwall here. And find out where I’m checking in on Foursquare here. Looking forward to seeing everyone on 4/16!
When: Monday April 16th, 2012 from 6-8pm
Where: Osetra Downtown San Diego 904 5th Avenue, San Diego CA 92101
Why: Celebrate Foursquare Day! Network, meet new friends and connect in real life!
How: RSVP HERE so we have a head count and show up ready for a good time
Day 1 of SXSW was a success! I’m genuinely so grateful to be surrounded by so many amazing people who all share a passion for the interactive space, but the secret is out! My little green AT&T backpack is filled with cutting edge technology! To everyone who found me yesterday, congratulations! It’s like finding a needle in a haystack but I make it easier by having you follow me on Twitter @MyMelodie, Foursquare and the #ATTSXSW hashtag.
I gave out everything from USB drives, duffel bags, t-shirts and flashlights.
And I also gave out a Galaxy Note, phone meets tablet! The lucky winner
@CindyERodriguez was elated to to take home her Galaxy Note! She literally tap danced for me! I’ll be giving away more today! So make sure to find me! To win the grand prize, I encourage enthusiasm and you’ll also need to think outside the box! Cindy proves that it can be done!
Other highlights of my day include doing yoga with @proxybot! Yep, only at SXSW can you practice yoga with a robot and have the event be hashtagged #SXYoga.
And checking in with @dens, the Founder of Foursquare!
Have a great conference everyone and remember to find me. If you’re lucky and catch my attention, you might win a Galaxy Note or perhaps even another surprise! For other awesome stuff AT&T is doing at SXSW check out the video! (I make a brief cameo!)
<Editor’s Note> I’m very excited to introduce you all to Stephanie Trinh aka @stef_funny! She’s the newest member of my team here at Marketing Melodie. She’s an ambitious Business Marketing Student at SDSU, is filled with positive energy and is even a fellow marketing nerd! I’ll let Stephanie take it from here. HIT IT STEPHANIE! </Editor’s Note>
I’ve recently just started really using my Foursquare account and I had a ton of questions for Melodie. Why should a business have a Foursquare account? What is the point of Foursquare when I can just check-in on Facebook? Apparently, I had much to learn so I’d like to share a few awesome things I recently learned about Foursquare.
Foursquare is a location-based social network used mostly on mobile devices. You use your smart phone to check-in at the venue you’re currently at. Check ins can earn you a new badge, points (that I still don’t know what they’re good for) and some businesses offer special deals when you check-in at their venues. With Foursquare, you can simultaneously post on Facebook and Twitter, something that checking in just on Facebook doesn’t allow. Facebook check-ins which I have been using offer none of these, only a new status update to show your friends where you’re at so I was happy to learn about the foursquare benefits.
As a business, you wouldn’t necessarily create a Foursquare account to be part of the fun. You would claim your business instead. Once the business is claimed, business owners can add specials to help bring in more traffic to the business location. One thing that businesses should keep in mind is that when a special is created, employees need to be aware of the special. This helps avoid confusion when a customer comes in and shows them the unlocked special. It makes the experience less frustrating for the consumer.
I found this Foursquare comedy skit on YouTube, and I thought it was funny so I wanted to share. Also, I drive a Toyota Camry and I noticed that the car the guys are driving is a Camry! Enjoy.
Happy New Year! 2011 was amazing! And I’m excited for what 2012 has in store. For my first post of 2012 I’m sticking with the “new year” theme!
I love making lists. To-do lists are the most common for me. I make these daily to stay on task with both my personal and professional life. In fact I’ve even added things to my to-do list after I already accomplished them, just so I can check it off. C’mon I know I’m not the only one who’s done this before! Fess up if you have!
Instead of resolutions, I shared with my network that 2012 means making “Lists of 12s”!
I’m working on lists of 12 new restaurants to try, 12 new places to go, 12 marketing goals for my business and first list I made is of course related to tech and social media: 12 tech/web/social media related things I’d like to accomplish in 2012!
1. Pinterest- We all know about my food porn addiction. I recently joined Pinterest and wow, it’s any food porn addict’s DREAM! I have 2 boards related to food. My Sweet Tooth is filled with gorgeous, mouth-watering sweets. Rather than just look at these images and drool, in 2012 I’m going to actually make at least 2 desserts I’ve pinned on Pinterest. (Give me food and I’ll cook but please note I have virtually zero experience when it comes to baking sweets so this is something new for me!)
2. Facebook- Part of what I do for my Marketing clients is work with them to create customized social media profiles that are cohesive with their brand and website. You know the old saying “The Cobbler’s children have no shoes”? I spend a lot of time helping clients create a marketing strategy that effectively integrates social media and Facebook is one of the main tools I use. However, even though I help clients with this, I personally haven’t had an opportunity to customize my own Facebook page. In 2012, I’m going to redesign my Facebook Page so it’s cohesive with my website and brand.
3. Yelp- Write a minimum of 12 new Yelp reviews in 2012
4. LinkedIn- I’m grateful that I’ve received so many positive recommendations from my colleagues, clients and partners on LinkedIn. I’m truly humbled by reading the things people who have benefited from my work. I’ve been meaning to create a “Testimonials” section on my website by transferring many of my LinkedIn recommendations. In 2012 I’m going to create a “Testimonials” section on my website based on my LinkedIn recommendations.
5. Gmail- I’ve created folders and filters for many emails, but not all. I have thousands and thousands of unread messages in my inbox. I’ve trained myself to skip over unimportant emails such as ones from newsletters I don’t recall signing up for or emails related to people connecting with me on a social network but this still means there’s clutter in my inbox. In the past few days I’ve already unsubscribed from about 15 email lists and removed over 4000 messages from my inbox. I have over 8000 to go! In 2012 I’m going to get my gmail inbox down to zero, for the first time ever!
6. Foursquare- I’m a total Foursquare lover! I was traveling internationally in 2010 on Foursquare Day (4/16) and still manged to organize and host Foursquare Day in Hong Kong! In 2011 I hosted Foursquare Day San Diego in America’s Finest City! I’m currently a Super User- Level 2. The highest Super User Level is 3 and I’ve read that it’s virtually impossible to become a Level 3 Super User but my wordplay mind gets turned on because in the word “impossible” I just see the words “I’m possible” so in 2012 I’m going to become a Foursquare Superuser Level 3!
7. Evernote- While Evernote helps me stay organized; my Evernote itself needs to be organized. Whenever I forward an email to my Evernote the email doesn’t get categorized into a folder immediately. This is the main ways I update my Evernote so I definitely have some cleaning up to do. In 2012 I’m going to clean up my Evernote account.
8. YouTube- I’m not a regular YouTuber but I’m currently working on an awesome Social Media related video that will be published soon. My goal is to get at least 1 million views on this video. I know that sounds extreme especially since my current YouTube videos have views only in the hundreds. I’ve got a good feeling about this video and in 2012 I’m going to get 1 million views on my social media related YouTube video.
9. Twitter- All of my Twitter followers were gained authentically through people finding my page and being interested in topics I tweet about. I’d like to continue being a resource on Twitter but also build up my Twitter following with more people who are engaged in conversation and content I post. In 2012 I’m going to grow my Twitter following to over 5000 while keeping in mind this must be done authentically through just being me!
10. Phone- My Droid 2 just isn’t cutting it! Rather than continue to complain about how my phone is slow in 2012 I’m going to get a new phone!
11. Laptop- My laptop and all the information it contains is literally my most valuable possession. It contains photos, music, confidential documents etc. It used to be backed up on the cloud but my subscription ended and I haven’t had a chance to renew. Whether on the cloud or on a hard drive, in 2012 I need to make sure I back up my laptop again!
12. Blogging- My last in my list of 12s is something that will keep me accountable for 1-11 on this list! And that’s to write a follow up blog post in 6 months and then right before on 2013 on what items have been checked in on this tech/web/social media list of 12!
Wishing everyone the best of the best in 2012! Thank you to everyone who reads my posts. I’ve really appreciate the comments, tweets, Facebook Likes, Subscribes and emails! It makes me happy to hear from you so please don’t hesitate to reach out at any time!
Happy Foursquare Day! I’m honored to host Foursquare Day San Diego at R Gang Eatery tonight! Even if you can’t make it, you can still celebrate Foursquare Day and the spirit of Foursquare each time you check in somewhere! To make Foursquare a tool that’s even more valuable I’ve asked my network their favorite Foursquare Specials. Here are some great specials people have shared with me. Please note, specials change periodically so you’ll have to check with the actual venue before going to see if the special is still valid.
Other resources to find Foursquare Specials include: 4SquareOffers.com. You enter your city, street or zip code to find offers near you. The Foursquare Blog also keeps up to date on many nationwide specials.
Bubs- There are 2 locations in San Diego: Pacific Beach and the Gaslamp. Both locations offer Free Tator Tots with your check-in and first round of drinks bought!
Cafe Coyote- Receive a free Mexicana Quesadilla Tortilla Appetizer with check-in and entree or cocktail purchase. The Mayor can ask the manager for additional specials
Chili’s Bar and Grill (Multiple Locations)- Check-in and receive a free order of Chips & Salsa! The more the merrier; Check-in with 3-or-more friends and receive one free appetizer for your table!
Currant- Free Popcorn of the Moment or a $.10 Sangria or well cocktail on your 3rd check-in.
Del Mar Racetrack – Mayor receives a VIP paddock tour, four clubhouse admissions, their name on the tote board and will watch a race from the Winner’s Circle.
Double Deuce- Complimentary signature Double Deuce Welcome Shot when you check-in!
Harney Sushi- 50 cent small hot sake with check-in and purchase
Hotel Del Coronado- Check-in and buy a flight of wine to get a free flight of cheese or chocolate at ENO Wine Room. Valid after 5pm, Tues-Sat.
Pastalini Miramar (Multiple Locations) - 10% off your order w/ every check-in + free soda for the Mayor
Ra Sushi- Check-in and get a free order of Edamame or a Miso Soup.
Red Pearl Kitchen- Free Appetizer + 50% off all bottles of wine every day with check-in
Souplantation (Multiple Locations) – 15% off your bill with check-in
Sports Authority (Multiple Locations)- Spend $100 and get a $25 Cash Card. Check-in to unlock this offer.
The Tipsy Crow- 50% off your tab for every fourth check-in! Foursquare Mayor gets their tab 50% off anytime.
Wavehouse Bar and Grill- 10% off your bill with check-in. If you’re the mayor, you get $3 wells.
West Coast Tavern- 20% off on your total order every 3rd check-in!
There are many other great Foursquare specials offered around the city and nationwide. I’ll continue to update this list so if you know of other specials, please share them in the comments!