I’ve been a little quiet over here at Marketing Melodie. However, that doesn’t mean I’m not ready to help you with your marketing and social media. I’m definitely open for business and am working hard to kick off 2013 with a bang. I’ve already booked a speaking gig for the beginning of 2013 and am excited for more opportunities to share my knowledge. I have new marketing classes to teach for National University in 2013 and I’m in the process of creating a new Social Media course for their MBA program. I’m accepting new clients, actively booking more speaking engagements and am ready to be at your service for all of your marketing needs!
In addition to my marketing business I’ve been working on a new project that I’d like to introduce. INTRODUCING Tao of Yoga! If you’ve been keeping up with my posts, I mentioned in September that I would soon be launching a site dedicated to my yoga ventures. Well the time has finally arrived. It’s a very basic site but it’s clean, simple and gets the job done.
I’ve been using MarketingMelodie.com to post about many things related to yoga because they also relate to social media such as uniting social media and Yoga at Tadasana Festival, my appearance on ABC for Karaoke Yoga and the launch of Digital Media Now for Yogis. Moving forward, my yoga related posts will all be found on the Tao of Yoga Blog and of course anything marketing related will still be found here.
What can you expect to find on my new site? Well if you’re interested in yoga, learning more about yoga, taking classes or growing your own yoga business, my new site is for you! It’s also relevant to anyone interested in health, fitness and wellness as I’ll be posting information related to healthy eating and living in general. You can join the Tao of Yoga Facebook for additional information that may not be found on my website. Thanks so much to everyone for supporting my new venture with Yoga and Fitness!
As for all of my marketing followers, I assure you that I have many things in the works for you as well! I have spent many years growing my marketing audience and building my brand, so it’s here to stay! I’m just now proud that I have another brand and space where I can share my passion.
<Editor’s Note> I’m very excited to congratulate Stephanie Trinh aka @stef_funny who’s on my team here at Marketing Melodie. She recently graduated from SDSU. What a huge accomplishment. She’s an official college graduate! Stephanie is moving on to begin her career in the “real world” but before she leaves, she has some final words of inspiration and insight to share with you on her experience here at Marketing Melodie and why interning is so important. I’ll let Stephanie take it from here. HIT IT STEPHANIE! </Editor’s Note>
It seemed like just yesterday when I asked Melodie about her internship program. It has definitely been such a pleasure working with her. I’ve learned plenty from Melodie, whether it was about social media for businesses or advice on what to say during my interviews . Although people cringe at the thought of having to be an intern, I’ll tell you why interning is one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.
- I’ve met so many great people during the time that I’ve worked with Melodie. We all know that the marketing industry is all about who you know. Melodie has hosted many events, which I have attended and it has helped me expand my networks. I love talking to marketing professionals and hearing their stories about how they have gotten to where they are today.
- I’ve gotten exposure. The blog posts that I compose and post here are also posted through Melodie’s social networks. Although I do have my own blog, I get new exposure and more traffic by blogging on another site. Plus, writing these posts help me to deepen my own understanding on why businesses should use certain social networks as a part of their overall marketing plan.
- I had fun and expressed my creativity. Melodie encouraged me to spark my creativity by having me help her create things to post for clients and her own social networks. Some of the ideas included Motivational Monday posts, Melodie Tips, etc.
- The real hands on experience. My internship program gave me a chance to learn through actually doing. The one on one mentoring experience Melodie provided has been really helpful and has allowed me to focus more on what I want to learn. Make it clear to your employer what you want to learn before you start your internship.
- Learning more than just internship stuff. Melodie has helped me better understand where I want to go in my career life. She’s helped me with interviews and given me networking tips – things that I really am going to use in the “real world.” The best part about working with Melodie is that she isn’t just someone you intern for, she’s your mentor who truly does want to see you succeed in the industry. I recommending finding an internship where you can directly interactive with your Manager and ask questions along the way.
I still can’t believe I’m considered to be an alumni now. Yay to graduating and to the class of 2012!
In less than 48 hours I hop on a plane to Austin for #SXSW! I made the huge announcement that I’m attending #SXSW for the first time to run a Social Media promotion for AT&T! I mentioned that you’ll have to find me to win cool prizes. I now have more details so pay attention because I was just sent the prize list! It’s TOP SECRET because we want the winners to share and create buzz to attract more winners but let’s just say that I’m jealous of the people who will win and wish I could win the amazing prizes for myself.
HERE’S HOW TO WIN: You need to figure out where I am at SXSW and come find me! To do so follow me on Twitter @MyMelodie and the #ATTSXSW hashtag. You can also subscribe to my Facebook updates and follow me on Foursquare. I’ll be making my rounds from Stubbs to parties to the convention floor. Once you spot me (HINT HINT I’ll have an AT&T backpack) post a picture with me on your social media channels with the tag “I want to be a brand ambassador #ATTSXSW” and you’ll score a prize. It’s that simple! This is my Halloween costume coming to life, where in the world is @MyMelodie?!
BONUS! They chose me and 1 other person to run this promotion. The other person is friend @JenFriel! Remember when we had a nerdy sleepover in San Diego? Us both being chosen is nerdsuniting at it’s best! You can also find her to WIN!
AND IT DOESN’T STOP THERE! I’M ALSO RUNNING A RESTAURANT PROMOTION! I know you’ll be in rush to make the next panel or see the next band so if you’re an AT&T customer, I’m going to make your life easier! You get to skip the line and head straight to the front at some of Austin’s hottest restaurants: Bottecelli’s, Elizabeth Street Café, Perlas and Lamperts.
I’m seriously so excited for this opportunity. Not only is this going to be great exposure for Marketing Melodie but I’m running a Social Media campaign for one of the largest technology and communication companies!
Being an Entrepreneur and Marketer in today’s day and age can definitely be challenging but also extremely rewarding. I create my own opportunities and LOVE what I do but I can’t dismiss that there are so many things to manage including new technologies that pop up by the minute (meaning I must learn and be well versed on them before everyone else so I can educate others about them), challenges of running a business itself: finances, marketing, business development, etc and then of course balancing everything with my personal life that I cherish!
Something that really inspires and motivates me daily is the knowing that I literally LEARN SOMETHING NEW EACH AND EVERY DAY! This to me is priceless and it usually happens when I’m teaching others, giving advice or recommendations. I come to the realization that “HEY! I needed to learn that too!” Or “Wow I really need to take my own advice!” I truly believe the world is a mirror and what I encounter is a reflection of myself and where I’m at in life. I’ve recently learned so much while teaching and interacting with others for my job so here are a few things I’ve learned in the past couple weeks I feel are worth sharing .
1. Networking Tip: No selling at mixers and have a 2 sentence opener that sparks interest! I often avoid going to business mixers because I’m just not a fan of the whole “What do you do?” question being asked to me a hundred times. I realize it’s important for me to get out there and meet people face to face so I got myself to go out and I attended a 6 Degrees San Diego networking event last week. I met a guy who works in insurance. He immediately started to try and sell me policies. This also immediately made me lose interest. But it made me re-evaluate the way I connect with people at business mixers. It’s important to be authentic while being able to describe what you do in 1-2 sentences to peak people’s interest so you don’t get flustered (because it’s easy to get nervous when you’re on the spot!). If you start by bombarding someone by selling, you’ll lose the connection and thus I came up with my opener to spark interest when I get asked the Question “What do you do?” “I’m a Marketing professional; I specialize in Digital Marketing and Social Media. I teach businesses how to utilize digital tools to grow their business.” Then I stop. THAT’S IT! I couldn’t believe that before this week I really didn’t have an efficient way to describe to people what I do without selling! Thank you to the guy who sold to me at an event and encouraged me to rethink my approach when I introduce myself at business mixers.
2. Social Media Tip: Update your LinkedIn profile! I have gotten more business from people finding me on Linkedin than any other social network. If you’re not already on LinkedIn, sign up! I recently hosted a Digital Media Now seminar teaching people how to optimize their Social Media profiles, including LinkedIn. I discussed using keywords in your profile so you have a higher probability of coming up in searches. Of course you would think since I’m teaching this, my profile would be completely optimized with all the proper terms. Well I realized I have never, ever added anything to the “Skills” section! I had zero skills listed, which means zero key words. Moral of the story is that I need to be mindful of keeping my own marketing tools up to date especially if I’m teaching everyone else to do the same. After I updated this on my profile, I IMMEDIATELY had someone hire me for a project based on being impressed with my profile and she mentioned my “Skills” listed! Anyway, even if you only spend 10 minutes doing this, go update your LinkedIn profile as soon as possible!
3. Peace of Mind Tip: It’s ok to do nothing because doing nothing is actually accomplishing something!
This last tip comes from my Yogi side! I practice yoga several times a week and try to meditate daily (daily is more like once a week). I recently found myself recommending yoga classes to someone who really felt stressed out and had no time to do anything. While I was saying this the thought popped into my head. “How is it possible that I’m a yoga instructor but have the hardest time practicing yoga, meditating and staying present myself?!” Do as they say, not as they do right? Working in an industry that’s constantly changing while at the same time being an entrepreneur means my mind is always racing! It’s difficult for me to take a break and often when I do take a break, I feel like I’m not getting anything done or I’m wasting time. My tip to all of you and to myself is that when you take a break to meditate, read, wind down, whatever it is you do to relax, try your very best to know that it’s OK to be taking that break and be doing nothing. This “doing nothing” is actually doing wonders for your body in terms or helping you recharge, rejuvenate, relax, all sorts of positive things your body needs especially if you’re a busy body!
I leave you with a quote I find very inspirational that’s aligned with my belief that I really do learn something new every day!
“No day in which you learn something is a complete loss” ~David Eddings
I recently welcomed the lovely Allison Schummer to my team. As an aspiring marketer and SDSU student about to graduate and enter the work force, Allison’s ambition has positively fueled her to not only help my company grow, but also continue learning and educating herself about digital marketing and social media. Today Allison shares with everyone things she’s learned about networking, social media and marketing since we’ve been working together. These tips are great for both beginners getting into the space and anyone who could use a little refresher!
HIT IT ALLISON!
After working with Melodie for several weeks now, I have learned a lot about Social Media and all the benefits it has to offer. Twitter, Facebook, and Linkedin are great Social Media websites that have allowed me to brand myself, network, and learn effective communication skills. Here are a few things I have found valuable from these three Social Media sites:
Twitter has taught me how important networking is. If it weren’t for Twitter, I would have never known about Melodie’s request for an intern. Through networking on Twitter, I was introduced to Marketing Melodie and the rest is history. Twitter has also made me a better communicator; it encourages me to become more concise, expand my vocabulary, and improve my writing skills to write a tweet within 140 characters or less.
Although I’ve been a Facebook member for about 5 years now, I’m still learning about what the site has to offer. Until recently, I was unaware that you could personalize your Facebook URL. This important because it’s another way to brand yourself on Social Media. Through Facebook, I’ve learned the importance of branding yourself by being consistent within your Social Media sites.
LinkedIn is a great site to appeal to future employers or potential people in your professional network. Through Linkedin, I find it valuable to be able to post my work and educational experience for people to seek out. Again it is important to present yourself as a professional on Linkedin while staying consistent with your brand.
Through Social Media sites, I am provided with up to date knowledge on the latest trends and have been able to build strong relationships, only expanding my social and professional network. I can’t wait to learn and blog more about Social Media!
Thanks for sharing Allison! If you’re reading this and you also want to learn the ins and outs of Social Media, I’m still seeking Marketing Interns, apply today! If you’re reading this and you know someone who can benefit from working with me, please spread the word. Stay tuned for more posts from Allison on things she’s learned and experienced from working in marketing. You can follow Allison on Twitter to learn more about her marketing adventures!
I believe that every single one of us in an entrepreneur of our own ideas. I also believe there is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has arrived. This blog post is about an idea I’ve had that’s flourished into action. Before you read on know that this post is one of the most personal I’ve ever written and I’m so inspired to share it with you. Read more