Get free social media tips to your inbox to start marketing your way to success immediately!
Discover the Best Travel Deals on Social Media with Marketing Melodie on Fox 5 San Diego
July 4, 2016
Happy 4th of July everyone! Instead of taking the day off this Monday, I’m happy to be up bright and early sharing social media tips with you on Fox 5 San Diego. In my last segment, I discussed social media safety tips. This time, I’m discussing something a little more fun: summer vacation!
While I usually teach businesses how to use social media to grow, I also use social media for my social life! Hence the term “social” right? Since summer time is in full swing, you’re probably seeing a lot of vacation photos on your news feed. Instead of getting vacation envy, and just wishing you could be there, I’m here to share how you can use social media to find the best travel deals and plan your next vacation. Here’s the full segment, plus I’ve listed out all the full details for you below.
1. Follow travel blogs on Facebook and turn on notifications- One of my favorite travel blogs is called The Points Guy. Just last Friday they posted an Amazing Deal Alert: Fly from New York or DC to South Africa from $390 round-trip! These deals don’t last long, so you have to snag them immediately. The best way to get notified right when a new deal launches is to join their Facebook page and turn notifications “on”. To do this, click on the little arrow on the “Like” button located on the header photo. You will then see a drop down for you to choose the option to turn the notifications “on” and also an option to see the posts “first”. This means you’ll get a notification every time that page posts and you will also see their posts first on your newsfeed.
2. Download apps to find last minute travel deals, share on social media to save more- Apps like HotelTonight or Priceline allow you to book hotel rooms last minute at low prices. On HotelTonight, you can find 4-5 star hotels for well under $100. I have even seen crazy Black Friday deals where hotel rooms were as low as $7 a night! If you use social media to share your experience, you will save even more for yourself and your friends! HotelTonight will reward you for sharing a code on social media by giving you an addition discount on their already low prices. In fact, here’s $25 off your first HotelTonight booking with code: MTAO11.
3. Use local deal programs such as Groupon, Living Social, or if you’re visiting San Diego, check out Fox 5 San Diego’s very own “Be Our Guest“. Most of us use deal programs in our very own city. We tend to forget about them when traveling! Local deal programs are a great way to learn about new restaurants, fun events and activities, while saving at the same time. Most sites have apps so there’s no need to print anything out and they also offer additional discounts for sharing their deals on social media. Groupon gives you $10 each time a friend joins. Living Social will send you a referral link for select offers asking you to send it out to friends. If 3 friends purchase through your link, you get the deal free!
4. The travel industry has their own social networks such as Airbnb and Couchsurfing– Not only do these sites help you save money when traveling, the sites themselves are considered social media sites. You get connected with other people who can give you the best insight about their city, they know first hand where to find the best deals and can often share secrets about their city that only locals would know. You often save on housing and even can get free housing on Couchsurfing. Just like Groupon, Airbnb promotes being social and sharing! I have $30 to give each new member who signs up, I also get $30 off once you book your first Airbnb of $75 or more. It’s a win-win!
5. Get deals emailed directly to your inbox- Most deal sites, blogs and apps have options for you to get their emails. Travelzoo does a weekly Top 20 roundup. These are the best travel deals they find on flights, hotels, cruises, and more delivered right to your inbox! This week they posted about $49 flights on Southwest and a $499 3 Night Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Retreat with airfare. This is another way to be the first to learn about travel opportunities.
Let’s keep using social media to have fun and discover great deals for traveling. If you would like more social media tips, for business, feel free to watch one of my webinars! Thanks for watching my segment. If you have any more social media travel tips, please share them with me in the comments! You can also join me on Facebook where I post a new social media videos and content every week.