Marketing Success Live- Top 3 Social Media Security Tips with Skyline IT Services
On today’s episode of Marketing Success Live, I share: Top 3 Social Media Security Tips! This recap will give you a quick rundown of the tips, tricks, resources, events and other cool things mentioned. If you missed today’s episode, you can watch it any time over on the Marketing Melodie Facebook Page.
Our special guest for today’s episode is Vanessa Miranda from Skyline IT Services. Vanessa is their Account Manager and Social Media Manager. She has an abundance of knowledge on the most up to date technology and cyber security practices. She shares this knowledge on Skyline IT Service’s social networks to build a strong community of informed and educated digital consumers. Skyline IT Services has been serving San Diego County with premier IT Support for over 10 years. They specialize in managed IT Support and IT Services for small to medium sized businesses.
Main takeaways from today’s Marketing Success Live Episode- Top 3 Social Media Security Tips with Skyline IT Services
1. Make sure to update your browser- Most websites rely on having a modern web browser. If you run a web browser that’s out of date, it may contains security vulnerabilities and you risk having your computer compromised by viruses, spyware, malware and other security issues. Depending on the security exploit, your personal information (such as emails, banking details, photos and other sensitive information) could be stolen or destroyed. How do you know when it’s time to update? You will often see errors when opening new webpages because those webpages don’t support the old browser. To verify that your version of Chrome is the latest or to update manually, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Click the Customize and control Google Chrome button in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select Help, then select About Google Chrome.
2. How to spot spam links (Even when they come from friends)– Many hackers take advantage of using your friends and network to get your personal information. This is done by sending you a message directly from their social media accounts or email with a fishy/ phishy message like “Did you see this video of you?” or “I am in trouble, I need money.” Many people don’t think twice about opening emails like this and respond to them because it’s coming from a personal and trusted connection If you suspect a suspicious email message, message your friend in another email chain and ask! You can also check on your own if a URL they sent is legitimate. Move your mouse over the top of the URL, you should see the actual hyperlinked address. If the hyperlink is different than the address displayed the message may be fraudulent or malicious. People who launch phishing scams often depend on their victims not knowing how the DNS naming structure for domains works. The last part of a domain name is the most telling. For example, the domain name info.brienposey.com would be a child domain of brienposey.com because brienposey.com appears at the end of the full domain name (on the right-hand side). Conversely, brienposey.com.maliciousdomain.com would clearly not have originated from brienposey.com because the reference to brienposey.com is on the left side of the domain name.
3. How to prevent data from your smartphone getting “Juice Jacked” Don’t charge your phone in public charging stations! By plugging in your phone to a compromised power strip or charger, your device can get infected. Public charging stations and wi-fi access points are found in places like airports, planes, conference centers and parks, so people can always have access to their phones and data. The cord you use to charge your phone is also used to send data from your phone to other devices. For instance, when you plug your iphone into your computer with the charging cord, you can download photos from your phone to your computer. It only makes sense that by plugging your charger in an unknown port your data can also be downloaded. If a port is compromised there’s no limit to what information a hacker can retrieve- this is called juice jacking. Instead of using a public charging station, Vanessa and I recommend purchasing your own portable charger. We are loving this one from Jackery Titan. At around $35, it’s cost effective and a life saver. I brought this with me to Disneyland and it kept 2 iphones charged for an entire day.
Connect with today’s Marketing Succcess Live special guest Vanessa Mirand from Skyling IT Services
- Click here to Like Skyline IT services on Facebook
- Click here to Follow Skyline IT services on Instagram
Mentioned in today’s Marketing Success LIVE Episode:
- Marketing Success Team- The Marketing Success Team is your GO-TO place to turn any time you have marketing and social media questions. The Marketing Success Team is an online community and resource designed for busy professionals who want to stay motivated and inspired with marketing their business. You’ll have someone to keep you accountable for being consistent with your marketing efforts. You will be on the cutting edge of the latest social media updates that affect your business and you will get answers directly from the experts who have years of experience with digital marketing. Vanessa is a valued member of the Marketing Success Team and I was honored to hear her share her positive experience with with collaborating with other team members in our group. Click here for more info on the Marketing Success Team.
- Marketing Success Power Breakfast- Sometimes, it’s hard to set aside time for networking events because you don’t want to take time away from getting actual work done. This is why I created the Marketing Success Power Breakfast! It’s a networking event where you’ll have a chance to connect with up to 9 other business professionals, learn about social media topics, and best of all get work done! The next event is Friday March 17th from 8am-10am. Claim your spot here.
- Markting Success Happy Hour- I host a monthly happy hour that’s filled with marketing inspiration for your business! Enjoy the best view of San Diego while we discuss important social media topics. We’ll participate in a fun, interactive marketing activity for your business. Then we will have time for networking so you can connect with the other business leaders in the room. The Marketing Success Happy Hour is once a month and has been selling out every month! The next one is Thursday March 23rd, 2017, 4:30pm – 6:30pm. Make sure to purchase your ticket before they sell out!
Tools mentioned/ used in today’s Marketing Success LIVE! episode:
1. Jackery Titan Portable Charger- I brought this with me to Disneyland and it kept 2 iphones charged (that were being heavily used!) for an entire day.
2. Audio-Technica ATR3350 Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone- This mic allows you to have quality sound in your videos no matter how far way the phone is from your face.
3. Arkon iPhone Tripod Mount- This is how I keep my phone from wobbling around when I’m filming! This tripod is very portable and has durable legs that claspses on to other equipment.
4. Neewer Camera Photo/Video Light Ring- I use this light ring so you can see me more clearly, no matter what the lighting in the room looks like.
5. CowboyStudio Aluminum Adjustable Light Stand with Case– The light ring I use, goes on this stand!
That’s a wrap for the recap of Marketing Success Live- Top 3 Social Media Security Tips with Skyline IT Services. Make sure to tune in on Facebook Live again next Wednesday from 11am-11:30am over on the Marketing Melodie Facebook page.