15 Reasons to attend the 15th Annual San Diego Asian Film Festival & Win Free Tickets
I love attending the San Diego Asian Film Festival (also known as SDAFF) every year and I love seeing how much it grows each time I come back. There are always more films to watch and more people who attend. I’m very happy to be partnering with SDAFF to promote the film festival again. In honor of their 15th anniversary, here are 15 reasons to attend. Make sure you read them all because at the end I will share with you a special offer to buy tickets for the film festival and I’m also giving away a 4 pack of tickets to a lucky winner.
1. Watch Unique Films – Going to the movies during the film festival is very special. I enjoy going to the movies all year long, but during the festival I’m able to see unique films that are not normally in theaters across all different genres. You’ll find comedies, romantic comedies, short films, horror films and action films just to name a few. The Festival has grown to become the largest exhibition of Asian cinema in the western United States, and has showcased everything from future classics like Bong Joon-ho’s Memories of Murder (US Premiere) to luminary independent work like Patrick Wang’s award-winning In the Family (North American Premiere). There is really something for everyone.
2. Check out Different Movie Venues in San Diego-This year, SDAFF will be showing films at a record 9 different venues in many different areas of San Diego. While their home base will be at the UltraStar Hazard Center, this is a chance to check out some new spots including the Arclight Cinemas in La Jolla and La Paloma Theatre in Encinitas. You can find a list of all the venues, along with additional information on each venue here.
3. Celebrity sightings- You never know who you’ll see at SDAFF. I heard Jeremy Lin and George Takei have both made appearances at SDAFF in the past. I also had the pleasure of meeting MC Hammer. I can’t believe that I am unable to find a photo of this moment, but it did happen! Make sure your cameras are ready on selfie mode when you spot a famous star.
4. Film Premiers– Each year, the festival brings West Coast and world premieres of films from around the world to San Diego, giving you a chance to see some films before anyone else.
5. Free Films– Did you know that you can attend SDAFF for free? That’s right, all weekday film programs at 4:00pm are free, courtesy of the Hom Family Foundation. The catch is that you have to be able to make the early show. You can pick up tickets for the free films in advance at the UltraStar Box Office starting Oct. 31. (limit 2 per person)
6. Bring the Whole Family- While some movies are for adults and teens only, there are still plenty of options for the while family. In fact the Shorts for Shorties program that airs Saturday November 8th is free for kids 12 & under.
7. Cultural Diversity– For its 15th Anniversary, SDAFF will showcase over 140 films from 21 countries! Attending the film festival is a great way to expand your knowledge on many different cultures and ethnicities.
8. Shorts– I love watching short films because it gives me a chance to see so many different creative endeavors all in one sitting. Another great thing about shorts, is if you don’t like one of the films, you can rest assured that it will probably be over in less than 10 minutes.
9. You Have a Voice– In previous years, after watching a film, there are always staff members standing near the exit to collect short questionnaires that ask your general thoughts and rating of the films. This gives you a chance to voice your opinion. It also gives film makers great feedback for the things they work so hard on creating. You are essentially a part of the festival jury!
10. Free Live Music– While film makers get to showcase their work, local musicians will also get to share their skills. There will be a variety of musical acts throughout the festival as part of the annual BLOWFISH UNLUGGED. You can find the full schedule of BLOWFISH UNPLUGGED here.
11. Volunteer– Whether you want to get your foot in the door with Pacific Arts Movement or the film industry, enjoy volunteering at cool events or are just looking for a great way to rack up volunteer hours, you have a chance to do all of that by volunteering at SDAFF. All the details on volunteering here.
12. Films, Music and now Dance with MOVEfest- In addition to having a chance to watch dozens of films and enjoy free music, you can also add dance performances to your SDAFF itinerary with MOVEfest. SDAFF partners with Outreach Through Dance to present the inaugural MOVEfest, a showcase of live hip-hop and contemporary dance by the most exciting API performers, choreographers, and dance cinematographers around. Details for attending MOVEfest can be found here.
13. Support the Pacific Arts Movement- The San Diego Asian Film Festival is organized by Pacific Arts Movement, a non-profit media arts organization dedicated to sharing Asian American and international films to inspire, entertain, and support a more compassionate society. Attending SDAFF is a wonderful way to support this organization that’s doing some amazing work in San Diego and beyond. For more information about Pac-Arts, click here.
14. Taiwan Film Showcase- For the the third straight year, SDAFF is showcasing the diversity and achievements of Taiwanese cinema. Presented in conjunction with the UCSD Taiwan Studies Lecture Series and the UCSD Chuan Lyu Endowed Chair in Taiwan Studies. All the information and show times related to the Taiwan Film Showcase can be found here.
15. If you’re still not convinced on why you should attend SDAFF, watch this trailer!
SPECIAL OFFER- 4 Pack of Tickets for $22! I worked with SDAFF to launch an awesome promotion and ticket offer with NBC 7’s The Goods. You can buy a 4 pack of tickets (Normally $44) for only $22. With this pass, you can watch 4 different films on your own or enjoy films with friends. This is such a great opportunity to check out a variety of films for a good price. There are a limited number of 4 packs available at this price, so sign up for The Goods here, then click on the home page to find the special offer for SDAFF.
WIN FREE TICKETS! If you’re feeling lucky, you can enter my contest to win a 4 pack of tickets. Entering is simple. All you have to do is leave a comment on this blog post and tell me which film you’re looking forward to seeing the most. You can earn an additional entry by Tweeting this post. Make sure you include my Twitter handle @MyMelodie and the film festival’s hash tag #15SDAFF. The contest will close at 9pm on Wednesday Nov. 5th, the eve of the 15th annual San Diego Asian Film Festival.
I look forward to seeing you all at the 15th Annual San Diego Asian Film Festival. If you weren’t planning on attending, you now have 15 reasons on to go, a special ticket offer and a chance to win free tickets!